It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Contributing a new link type

EclipseTalk . (32736061) | asked Jan 23 '10, 9:56 p.m.
Hello,
I need to contribute a new link type for workitem.
I've created a "common" plugin using the extension point com.ibm.team.repository.common.linkTypes to register the new type.
When I deploy it on the server I can see the new type menu entry but how should I go about creating a new link of this new type without updating the code from the plugins workitem.common and workitem.service? Do I need to create a service plugin with a REST service?
Thank you

6 answers

permanent link
Audrey Wang (4123) | answered Sep 29 '11, 12:56 p.m.
Thank you Arun for your response. The problem was there was no check-box for my new link type. I did eventually realize that this was a client change and I needed to rebuild my client to see the new link type. Now my issue is resolved.

Thanks,
Audrey

@ Audrey Wang

In editor presentations, go to links presentation of your respective editor, there you will find a list of all the link types that should be visible. You will find the entry of your link type there. Make sure the corresponding check-box is ticked. You are done.
I hope this helps.

Regards,
Arun

permanent link
Arun Batra (14612427) | answered Sep 29 '11, 7:15 a.m.
@ Audrey Wang

In editor presentations, go to links presentation of your respective editor, there you will find a list of all the link types that should be visible. You will find the entry of your link type there. Make sure the corresponding check-box is ticked. You are done.
I hope this helps.

Regards,
Arun

permanent link
Audrey Wang (4123) | answered Sep 16 '11, 10:31 p.m.
Hi I'm trying to create new types of links to use in the Web client. I have taken as a reference the note: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ProgrammaticLinkCreation in section Contributing to new link type. I'm working on an RTC 3.0 and 3.0.1 RC3.

I Generate a new Plugin project. And do the deployment on the server and shown as Active state, but I cannot see them in view of the process template to associate the new links type in presentation to a Workitem.

In addition to creating the project and deploy plugin is necessary do something else? (Maybe using the repotools command for the creation the link types in the tables in the database)

Any additional ideas or suggestion?

Hi,

I defined a new link type for workitem using extension point com.ibm.team.repository.common.linkTypes and I can install it (the plugin) into RTC Eclipse client. I can see my new link type in the Links tab of the workitem from the RTC Eclipse client. However, when I tried to query work items using my link type as condition, no result came back. I believe the new link type needs to contribute to the RTC server as well in order for the query to work.

My question is how to get the RTC server to install my plugin, so that the link type is visible to the server? If possible, please provide step by step instruction.

Thanks alot for the help. Thanks.

I've created a "common" plugin using the extension point
com.ibm.team.repository.common.linkTypes
to register the new type.
When I deploy it on the server I can see the new type menu entry but
how should I go about creating a new link of this new type without
updating the code from the plugins workitem.common and
workitem.service? Do I need to create a service plugin with a REST
service?

If you contribute a new linktype with work items on both sides of the
link, I believe it will automatically become available in the work item
editor.

If the links point to your custom artifacts, you will be responsible for
creating the links. You don't need work item code to do this. Links can
be created using e.g.

com.ibm.team.links.client.ILinkManager

--
Regards,
Patrick
Jazz Work Item Team

I have the same problem in that I followed the write up for Programmatic Link Creation, created an extension and after doing PDE->Build Site, I am unable to see the new link type in the Eclipse client. I'm using RTC 3.0.1.

Here is what's in my plugin.xml:
<extension>
<linkType>
<source>
<endpoint>
<itemReferenceType>
</itemReferenceType>
</endpoint>
</source>
<target>
<endpoint>
<itemReferenceType>
</itemReferenceType>
</endpoint>
</target>
</linkType>
</extension>

I checked the process configuration Editor Presentations for Links tab since it appears only selected link types are disaplayed in the Work Item editor, but I didn't find the new link there.

What step am I missing? Please help if you have been successful with this.

Thanks,
Audrey Wang

permanent link
Jose Manuel Acosta Duarte (11) | answered Jun 24 '11, 7:53 a.m.
Hi I'm trying to create new types of links to use in the Web client. I have taken as a reference the note: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ProgrammaticLinkCreation in section Contributing to new link type. I'm working on an RTC 3.0 and 3.0.1 RC3.

I Generate a new Plugin project. And do the deployment on the server and shown as Active state, but I cannot see them in view of the process template to associate the new links type in presentation to a Workitem.

In addition to creating the project and deploy plugin is necessary do something else? (Maybe using the repotools command for the creation the link types in the tables in the database)

Any additional ideas or suggestion?

Hi,

I defined a new link type for workitem using extension point com.ibm.team.repository.common.linkTypes and I can install it (the plugin) into RTC Eclipse client. I can see my new link type in the Links tab of the workitem from the RTC Eclipse client. However, when I tried to query work items using my link type as condition, no result came back. I believe the new link type needs to contribute to the RTC server as well in order for the query to work.

My question is how to get the RTC server to install my plugin, so that the link type is visible to the server? If possible, please provide step by step instruction.

service?

editor.

be created using e.g.

--
Regards,
Patrick
Jazz Work Item Team

permanent link
Kinny Kun (5183) | answered Jun 10 '11, 9:06 p.m.
Hi,

service?

editor.

be created using e.g.

--
Regards,
Patrick
Jazz Work Item Team

permanent link
Patrick Streule (4.9k21) | answered Jan 25 '10, 5:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
service?

editor.

be created using e.g.

--
Regards,
Patrick
Jazz Work Item Team

Comments
Jamie Berry commented Oct 09 '12, 1:51 p.m.

Patrick,

I have created some new linktypes and have successfully deployed them to the server and to my Eclipse clients.  I am now trying to access them using a Java application written using the Plain Java Client API. I found other forum posts directing people to use ILinkTypeRegistry.INSTANCE.getLinkType(<custom link type>).getTargetEndPointDescriptor() in order to get the IEndPointDescriptor for the new custom linktype needed in getReferences(IEndPointDescriptor) calls to get all the references of a specific type for a work item.  When I try using the getLinkType call above with the id I assigned my linktype, it comes back with null.  I have also tried ILinkTypeRegistry.INSTANCE.allEntries to see if my linktypes show up, and they don't.  It was also mentioned that I might have to package the custom client extension with the Plain Java Client Libraries to get them to show up, but nobody seems to know how.  Do you?

Thanks,
Jamie.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.