It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Changing Fronting Service Servers

Stephen McCants (2676) | asked Jan 22 '10, 5:38 p.m.
Hello,
I'm currently writing some fronting services. I recently tried to move a JFS backup repository
from one server to another. However, I discovered that this won't work, because the fronting
service URLs in the Storage Area are still for the old server. This means queries return results
pointing back to the old server, not the new server.
What is the recommended way to deal with this/work around it? The problem would also exist if
you simply renamed your server.
Thanks in advance!

--Stephen

2 answers

permanent link
Philippe Mulet (55112) | answered Jan 28 '10, 5:34 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The present assumption is that fronting service URLs are stable. This means that if you move the repository from one machine to another machine, you'd want to preserve the fronting service URLs for backward compatibility.

If this is not possible, then you would need to perform 2 actions:
1. Update all storage area definitions to have them point to the new fronting service URLs.
2. Trigger a full reindexing of the server (https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/JFSReindexingAPI). This can also be achieved using a repotools command (repotools -reindex).

FYI -reindex --Recreate query and search indexes.
--Path to the teamserver.properties file.
--The scope of reindexing.

Another way to achieve it is to find the index folder, and discard them all; the server will then detect missing indexes and will automatically recreate them. The deletion can occur while the server is down, or when online, but then you need to suspend the indexers first (then resume them afterwards), pls also read https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/JFSServerBackup.

Note: baselines are not automatically reindexed, due to the possible huge amount of work associated with them (think of reindexing after 10y in service), so you would have to either use the REST API or the repotools command to explicitly request the reindexing of the baselines you care about.

permanent link
Stephen McCants (2676) | answered Jan 28 '10, 6:38 p.m.
muletpp wrote:
The present assumption is that fronting service URLs are stable. This
means that if you move the repository from one machine to another
machine, you'd want to preserve the fronting service URLs for
backward compatibility.

Why would you assume that? Hostnames change. Systems crash and need to be moved to a backup
system. Yes, this means remote systems may not be able to find things, but they certainly won't
find things on a dead system.

Or the situation that I ran into. I wanted to preseed a JFS server with some fronting services and
stored items. That didn't work for me, because I tried to precreate the server setup, and then
restore a back up of it on another server. That meant it had the wrong fronting URLs.

If this is not possible, then you would need to perform 2 actions:
1. Update all storage area definitions to have them point to the new
fronting service URLs.
Is that the responsibility of the fronting service? I.e. should it check and detect if the URL in

the storage area matches the configuration in the properties file? If they don't should it
overwrite the storage area with the new URL?

Or is that the responsibility of something different?

Thanks for your help.

--Stephen

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.