It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cannot start TOMCAT

Shoichiro Takeshita (6) | asked Jan 07 '10, 12:54 a.m.
I have installed V2.0 trial version on Winows XP Japanese version.

Then, tried to start RRC but it seemed fail. Because with the following, TOMCAT windows disappeared just after being opened. https://:9443/rdm/setup did not show the RRC's web page.

Start Rational Requirements Composer Server by clicking Start > Programs > Rational Requirements Composer Server > Start Rational Requirements Composer Server 2.0.

The different TOMCAT 5.5 installation in the same PC works. What is the problem?

4 answers

permanent link
Eric Yokeley (41) | answered Jan 07 '10, 5:00 p.m.
Takeshita-san,

We've seen this symptom when not enough memory is available on the server machine. The startup script will simply close the Tomcat window if not enough memory is available.

How much memory do you have on your server?

Thanks,

Eric

permanent link
Shoichiro Takeshita (6) | answered Jan 07 '10, 7:44 p.m.
Eric, thanks.

My machine is HP 6530b with Windows XP.
CPU is Intel Core2 Duo P8600.
And 1.92 GB RAM.
It seems the memory size is good enough. Isn't it?

Best regards,

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered Jan 08 '10, 12:14 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Eric, thanks.

My machine is HP 6530b with Windows XP.
CPU is Intel Core2 Duo P8600.
And 1.92 GB RAM.
It seems the memory size is good enough. Isn't it?

Best regards,

I'll let Eric respond with what he'd observed previously, but the system requirements listed for the server is 2GB minimum and 4GB recommended.

permanent link
Eric Yokeley (41) | answered Jan 08 '10, 11:59 a.m.

And 1.92 GB RAM.

The startup script includes this parameter '-1536M' for launching Tomcat. If 1536 MB of memory is not available when you attempt to launch, then Tomcat will not start.

As Stef noted, 2 GB is the minimum memory requirement for running the server. As a work around, you could lower this setting in the script. This is definitely not recommended and not supported. If you do this, you may possibly run into other issues with performance and stability, but at least it will get you around this problem.

Thanks,

Eric

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.