It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Popup a dialog box after clicking the WI save button

Santhosh Thenmozhi Rajendran (711910) | asked Dec 22 '09, 1:48 a.m.
Hi,

I have a need as follows,

Whenever the user saves the work item, it should popup a dialog box where the user can enter the values for few of the WI's custom attributes.

I have written a custom followup action which saves the attribute values to the repository based on some condition, so the popup dialog box should simply change the values in the WI editor.
I am trying to write a client side precondition for the WIsave operation. so that the precondition will change the values in the editor and the followup action will save the values to the repository.
I am not sure whether this is the correct way or not.
I couldn't figure out how to create a dialog box in the precondition plugin and I dont know whether the client side precondition plugin should be added to both the server and the client or just add it to the eclipse client alone.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sany

5 answers

permanent link
Alex Chen (6123) | answered Dec 22 '09, 3:21 a.m.
Hi,

Whenever the user saves the work item, it should popup a dialog box where the user can enter the values for few of the WI's custom attributes.

I have written a custom followup action which saves the attribute values to the repository based on some condition, so the popup dialog box should simply change the values in the WI editor.
I am trying to write a client side precondition for the WIsave operation. so that the precondition will change the values in the editor and the followup action will save the values to the repository.
I couldn't figure out how to create a dialog box in the precondition plugin and I dont know whether the client side precondition plugin should be added to both the server and the client or just add it to the eclipse client alone.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sany

1. For the WI's custom attribute, why not use the editor part generated by RTC automatically for you? instead of use a pop up dialog to input value? http://jazz.net/library/article/129

2. For the client side precondition plugin, it only belongs to the client, you needn't add it to the server.

--Alex

permanent link
Santhosh Thenmozhi Rajendran (711910) | answered Dec 22 '09, 7:13 p.m.
Hi Guys,

I have created custom attributes from the project configuration page only. The users can enter the values to the custom attributes directly too.

But I want to make sure that whenever the work item is saved, a pop up should appear with text boxes for entering the values, so that the user doesn't forget entering the values before saving.

Questions
----------
1) How to create a pop up page when the user clicks on the save button for a work item and copy the values entered in the pop up page to the work item attributes which we are trying to save. By this way, we are forcing to user to enter the values for those attributes.

How do I proceed, I tried using client side precondition but I don't know how to save the values to the work item editor.

Sany

Hi,

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sany

1. For the WI's custom attribute, why not use the editor part generated by RTC automatically for you? instead of use a pop up dialog to input value? http://jazz.net/library/article/129

2. For the client side precondition plugin, it only belongs to the client, you needn't add it to the server.

--Alex

permanent link
Patrick Streule (4.9k21) | answered Dec 24 '09, 4:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have created custom attributes from the project configuration page
only. The users can enter the values to the custom attributes
directly too.

But I want to make sure that whenever the work item is saved, a pop up
should appear with text boxes for entering the values, so that the
user doesn't forget entering the values before saving.

I would suggest that you make the attributes required and place them in
a prominent location using the editor presentation configuration options.

This will prevent users from saving the work item without entering the
values and is much more in line with the standard editing/ux experience.

--
Regards,
Patrick
Jazz Work Item Team

permanent link
Santhosh Thenmozhi Rajendran (711910) | answered Jan 17 '10, 9:47 p.m.
Hi,

I want the user to change the attribute values "every time" he changes the WI state to a particular state.

Marking the attributes "required" wont work 'coz if once a value is entered then WI save operation wont be blocked. What I need is to ensure that the user has changed the attribute values whenever he changes the WI state.

Let me know your suggestions as how it can be done, without affecting the standard user experience.

Thanks,
Sany

permanent link
Patrick Streule (4.9k21) | answered Jan 18 '10, 3:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I want the user to change the attribute values
"every time" he changes the WI
state to a particular state.

Marking the attributes "required" wont work 'coz if once a
value is entered then WI save operation wont be blocked. What I need
is to ensure that the user has changed the attribute values whenever
he changes the WI state.

Let me know your suggestions as how it can be done, without affecting
the standard user experience.

You could write a process precondition that enforces your constraint.

For details, please see:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/PreconditionFollowupCreation

--
Regards,
Patrick
Jazz Work Item Team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.