It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to disassociate a child RTC project from its master.

Bob Ferguson (891139) | asked May 17 '23, 11:41 a.m.

We have a child project that the customer wants is now to be a stand alone project.

They want to have everything the way it is (i.e. roles, timelines, plans, work items etc) only now be a stand alone project.

I was wondering if I could replace the child process source with the masters process source.  If I did that would things line the timelines, plans, categories, team area hierarchy and work items still be there?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 24 '23, 2:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have never tried that. It might theoretically be possible, but I would be very concerned that there might be work needed to merge. This would require manual changes to the process configuration source. Theoretically, you could try to copy the process configuration source from the parent project area into the process configuration source of the child project area and switch off using the parents process, but I believe you would overwrite changes in the client and render parts of the process incorrect.

I can only suggest the following:

1. It would be possible to create a new project area based on the old Parents process and then switch to sharing that process. This would allow to deviate from the common parents process. It would not change process sharing, but would allow to do individual changes to the parents.
2. Get in contact with support, if this is a supported scenario.

Comments
Bob Ferguson commented May 24 '23, 8:09 a.m.

There have been no changes made to the child process.  The reason we used the shared process is that we had multiple children and we wanted everybody to use the exact same process.

Ralph Schoon commented May 24 '23, 8:44 a.m. | edited May 24 '23, 8:51 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If I would dare, I would test it on a test system first. Meaning an isolated test system based on the backup. Less secure would be to try it on a small test system. 

It is possible to copy the process xml from the EWM Eclipse client and paste parts or all over the destination project. I have seen this helping to go back to a last known good configuration within a project area. I have not tried this in your scenario.

Also, you do changes to the child project area. I am just not sure it goes into the process XML e.g. the users you add.

Bob Ferguson commented May 25 '23, 9:33 a.m.

Working on a test system is a very sore subject with me.  Let's just say one is not available.  I am going to create  a test lifecycle project, add users, team hierarchy,  work items create timeline, plans, releases and categories.  I will then replace the process xml in the test project with the process xml from my parent project.  I will then see if my work items, timelines,  users etc remain and have all the customizations that were in the parent.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.