It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Custom Metadata saved in .dta file

Gauthier DASSE (361) | asked Feb 17 '23, 8:35 a.m.
Hello,
I am looking for a possibility to add a custom metadata in a canva.
I did this : https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/elo-p/2.1.2?topic=specification-creating-custom-metadata , unfortunately the metadata is only saved in the .dsx and not in the .dta file. So if my canva changes, I have to re-add all the metadatas before exporting my .dsx. Do you have a solution for this problem ?

NOTE : I add the metadata both under Runtime and Template tab. But when I did it inder the Template, the custom metadata was reassign under the Runtime section.

2 answers

permanent link
Fariz Saracevic (904613) | answered Feb 18 '23, 4:37 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Gauthier,

First, I suggest to start using supported PUB version documentation. PUB 2.1.2 is not supported for years and it might confuse someone. Documentation might have not changed at all but it helps when referencing supported version. Here is the link for PUB 7.0.2, https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/elo-p/7.0.2?topic=specification-creating-custom-metadata.

Regarding your question, are you saying that you followed 'To reference the owner in the template' section and it is not working? If yes, I suggest to open an IBM support case.

Comments
Gauthier DASSE commented Feb 20 '23, 2:15 a.m.
Hello Fariz,
I did what is in PUB 7.0.2, and it worked, it was not the problem. My concern is that I want to save in my .dta the fact that I have created a metadata and its value. Currently, when I create a metadata in RPE Studio, then I save my template, close  RPE Studio and reopen it, my metadata is gone, I have to recreate it. Is there a solution to force the .dta to keep a trace of the metadata ?

TLDR : Create a metadata, save the template, close RPE studio, open the saved template, the metadata is gone.

permanent link
Gauthier DASSE (361) | answered Feb 20 '23, 2:38 a.m.
Okay I figure out that the .dsx does not have the content of a .dta, but have complementary infos such as metadatas.
So my conclusions for all of that :
- the metadatas are set in the .dsx file
- the .dsx file only have a reference to the template, so we do not need to regerenrate the .dsx file every time the template changes. We can just generate the .dsx once, and then give the reference of the template which have is own life.
- it is best to set the metadata using RPE Launcher and not RPE Studio, as the Launcher keep a trace of the metadata, while Studio just save them temporary in something like an intern .dsx file until you create another .dsx. Furthermore, if you decide to add another metadata afterward, if you create it in Studio, it will erase the previous metadata (as it did not save them), while you can just add it without modifying the previous one in the Launcher.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.