It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to add a new category to the links tab

Santhosh Thenmozhi Rajendran (711910) | asked Dec 09 '09, 12:38 p.m.
Hi,

I am writing a plugin for the below and need your guidance as how to achieve the below,

1) I need to add a new category "Mitigation Plan", like "Related", "Parent", to the Links section of the Links tab and I need to add work items under the newly added classification.

2) I need those added WIs to be visible in the Quick Information section in the Overview tab and I should be able to change the colors of those "mitigation plan" WIs based on the state of the parent WI.

Can you guide me please.

Thanks,
Sany

4 answers

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered Dec 14 '09, 5:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

I just tried to add a link type and it worked fine for me in both the eclipse/UI and the web/UI. The fact that you can not see the links in the eclipse client (both when configuring quick info and in the work item editor) indicates, that the plugin having the contribution is not available on the eclipse client. The contribution is in repository common, which means both the server and the eclipse client need the plugin.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Santhosh Thenmozhi Rajendran (711910) | answered Dec 11 '09, 7:03 p.m.
Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:55 pm Subject:
Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the steps, I was able to create a link of type "Mitigation Plan" but I could see the link type only in web UI and not in the eclipse client. And moreover, I am not able to add this link type to quick information as the new type is not even listed as one of the endpoints like Parent, children etc in the "quick information presentations" in the eclipse client.

Below, I have pasted a part of the plugin for link type contribution, Please disable html to view the plugin snippet

<extension>
<linkType>
<target>
<endpoint>
<itemReferenceType>
</itemReferenceType></endpoint>
</target>
</linkType>
</extension>

Am I missing something?
And it would be great, if you could point me to some documentation for custom quick information contribution or some code.

Thanks,
Sany

permanent link
Santhosh Thenmozhi Rajendran (711910) | answered Dec 11 '09, 6:55 p.m.
Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the steps, I was able to create a link of type "Mitigation Plan" but I could see the link type only in web UI and not in the eclipse client. And moreover, I am not able to add this link type to quick information as the new type is not even listed as one of the endpoints like Parent, children etc in the "quick information presentations" in the eclipse client.

Below, I have pasted a part of the plugin for link type contribution,

<extension>
<linkType>
<target>
<endpoint>
<itemReferenceType>
</itemReferenceType></endpoint>
</target>

</linkType>

</extension>

Am I missing something?
And it would be great, if you could point me to some documentation for custom quick information contribution or some code.

Thanks,
Sany

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered Dec 11 '09, 8:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
There are several parts invovled:
- you need to contribute your own link type (com.ibm.team.repository.common.linkTypes extension point)
- depending on the type of the artifacts you want to link, you can specify your endpoints (e.g. when having and endpoint for work items, you would use <itemReferenceType itemTypeName="WorkItem" packageURI="com.ibm.team.workitem"/>)
- if both endpoints are work items (according to your description, they are) and you want to be able to create such a link on the links tab in the work item editor, you have to ensure that the link type is not internal and not constrained
- the links should then show up on the links tab
- for the quick information, you have to configure the quick information presentations in the project area editor (Project Configuration -> Configuration Data -> Work Items (advanced)) accordingly
- if you want the links to show in a special way in quick information, you have to contribute your own quick information presentation (com.ibm.team.workitem.ide.ui.quickinformationPresentation extension point)

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.