It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to add the description with enumeration in RTC

Gagan Kumar (53278) | asked Jan 02 '23, 8:07 a.m.

How to add the description with enumeration in RTC and when user hover the cursor on the enumeration value , it should show the description 

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 02 '23, 8:55 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Consider providing more information. 

Gagan Kumar commented Jan 02 '23, 3:30 p.m.

How to add the Description of Enumeration for the reference Purpose 

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 03 '23, 2:26 a.m.

If this is the best you can do to describe what you want, I am afraid it is unlikely that there will be an answer. 

David Honey commented Jan 03 '23, 4:28 a.m. | edited Jan 03 '23, 4:30 a.m.

My guess (and it is a guess) is that what the OP wants is the ability to define a description for an enumeration value, and that when a property is set to that value, that the UI supports rich hover that shows the description of that enumeration value. For example, in the web UI, if you hover over a Planned For value, there is rich hover that shows the iteration start and end data. It sounds like they're asking for something similar for custom enumeration values.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 04 '23, 4:31 a.m. | edited Jan 04 '23, 5:37 a.m.

I am pretty sure that, if someone is interested in an answer, they can provide this kind of information themselves. If someone is only willing to provide one minimalistic sentence to ask a question that is pretty complex, they should not wonder that there is no response. You guess is already twice as long as the original question. 

In this specific case the user has has already asked 100+ questions and I am pretty sure most of these were as minimalistic as this one and I have already suggested to work on the question quality, multiple times.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 04 '23, 4:34 a.m. | edited Jan 04 '23, 7:48 a.m.

In addition, in case your guess is correct, it is quite apparent that there is no description that you can maintain for an enumeration literal, which should pretty much answer the question. 

I think it would be a nice idea to have something like this, since processes become more and more complex.

David Honey commented Jan 04 '23, 10:54 a.m. | edited Jan 04 '23, 10:55 a.m.

Similar to this, I wish that EWM tags were first class objects with their own meta data, such as a description. We often end up with hundreds of work item tags, some of which seem similar and it's not clear when you should use one or several similar ones. If tags were managed as first class objects, they could include a description that explains the tag purpose and usage. As you say, with complex processes, this type of meta data can be useful in guiding users.

Gagan Kumar commented Jan 04 '23, 12:07 p.m.

@David , i want exactly similar feature as explained for planned for attribute.

so can it be possible for other enumeration that we can add the description and when user hover on the enumeration it should show the description of the enumeration .

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 05 '23, 2:49 a.m.

Planned For is an iteration and it it easy enough to verify that iterations have an ID and a Display Name but not a description. Hover, in the Eclipse client, shows the iteration type. So, no. 

showing 5 of 9 show 4 more comments

One answer

permanent link
David Honey (1.8k17) | answered Jan 04 '23, 12:09 p.m.
Based on the comment from Ralph Schoon , this is currently not possible.
Feel free to submit an RFE through the IBM Ideas Portal: https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/welcome-ibm-ideas-portal

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.