It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Move Bulk Work Items Betwee Project Areas

Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k710353) | asked Dec 09 '09, 9:33 a.m.
I tried to enable the Move/Copy Work Items to Project Areas for selected multiple work items from a query display.

Following the link https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BulkMoveWorkItemsBetweenProjectAreas

I've tried on my RTC 2.0 client installation from the zip file but had the same issue as below.

I then installed RTC 2.0 client on my existing 3.4.2 Eclipse at C:\Program Files\eclipse. Then I downloaded the patch.zip from https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BulkMoveWorkItemsBetweenProjectAreas

And copy the plugin into the following folder:
C:\Program Files\eclipse\dropins\com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui_2.0.0.I200905141739.jar
C:\Program Files\IBM\IBMIMShared\plugins\com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui_2.0.0.I200905141739.jar

I have to rename the original 2.0 rcp_ui plugin (com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui_2.0.0.I200906081319.jar) to get the BulkMoveWorkItem picked up and show up in the runtime Plugin Registry.

But as soon as the BulkMoveWorkItem plugin is picked up, I can't run, edit and create any query anymore because of a loading error:
An internal error occurred during: "Loading".
com/ibm/team/workitem/common/expression/IQueryableAttributeFactory.findAllAttributes(Lcom/ibm/team/process/common/IProjectAreaHandle;Lcom/ibm/team/workitem/common/expression/IQueryableAttribute;Lcom/ibm/team/workitem/common/IAuditableCommon;Lorg/eclipse/core/runtime/IProgressMonitor;)Ljava/util/List;

But I need to select multiple work items from the query output. Run exiting query doesn't cause anything happing. Create or edit new query will give loading error.

Here are what in the log when I tried to edit an existing query but failed to load it. and it seems to me that there is a mismatch between the plugin's build env and the 2.0 runtime env.

I noticed the plugin was built for RTC 2.0 RC1. Is it matters or it is necesary to build the plugin again in an env. matching the RTC 2.0 client build and release? Or you have some other ways to solve this issue?

!ENTRY com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui 4 0 2009-12-09 09:09:19.578
!MESSAGE Could not resolve attributes
!STACK 0
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.run(ModalContext.java:421)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.ApplicationWindow$1.run(ApplicationWindow.java:758)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.ApplicationWindow.run(ApplicationWindow.java:755)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.run(WorkbenchWindow.java:2487)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.viewer.AttributeColumnManager.initAttributeColumnFactory(AttributeColumnManager.java:67)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.viewer.AttributeColumnManager.getAttributeColumns(AttributeColumnManager.java:42)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.viewer.WorkItemViewer.updateColumns(WorkItemViewer.java:465)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.viewer.WorkItemViewer.setInput(WorkItemViewer.java:318)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.explorer.view.AbstractWorkItemExplorer.show(AbstractWorkItemExplorer.java:506)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.explorer.view.WorkItemExplorer2.show(WorkItemExplorer2.java:634)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.explorer.view.AbstractWorkItemExplorer$InputResolver.runInUI(AbstractWorkItemExplorer.java:307)
at com.ibm.team.jface.internal.util.UIUpdateManager$ForegroundJob.runProtectedInUI(UIUpdateManager.java:94)
at com.ibm.team.jface.internal.util.LoggingUIJob.runInUIThread(LoggingUIJob.java:71)
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com/ibm/team/workitem/common/expression/IQueryableAttributeFactory.findAllAttributes(Lcom/ibm/team/process/common/IProjectAreaHandle;Lcom/ibm/team/workitem/common/expression/IQueryableAttribute;Lcom/ibm/team/workitem/common/IAuditableCommon;Lorg/eclipse/core/runtime/IProgressMonitor;)Ljava/util/List;
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.attribute.AttributeColumnFactory.resolve(AttributeColumnFactory.java:53)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.attribute.AttributeColumnFactory.getInstance(AttributeColumnFactory.java:46)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.viewer.AttributeColumnManager$1.run(AttributeColumnManager.java:71)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)
Root exception:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com/ibm/team/workitem/common/expression/IQueryableAttributeFactory.findAllAttributes(Lcom/ibm/team/process/common/IProjectAreaHandle;Lcom/ibm/team/workitem/common/expression/IQueryableAttribute;Lcom/ibm/team/workitem/common/IAuditableCommon;Lorg/eclipse/core/runtime/IProgressMonitor;)Ljava/util/List;
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.attribute.AttributeColumnFactory.resolve(AttributeColumnFactory.java:53)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.attribute.AttributeColumnFactory.getInstance(AttributeColumnFactory.java:46)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.viewer.AttributeColumnManager$1.run(AttributeColumnManager.java:71)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)

!ENTRY com.ibm.team.jface 4 0 2009-12-09 09:09:19.578
!MESSAGE Exception running 'Loading query'
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.viewer.AttributeColumnManager.getAttributeColumns(AttributeColumnManager.java:45)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.viewer.WorkItemViewer.updateColumns(WorkItemViewer.java:465)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.viewer.WorkItemViewer.setInput(WorkItemViewer.java:318)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.explorer.view.AbstractWorkItemExplorer.show(AbstractWorkItemExplorer.java:506)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.explorer.view.WorkItemExplorer2.show(WorkItemExplorer2.java:634)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.explorer.view.AbstractWorkItemExplorer$InputResolver.runInUI(AbstractWorkItemExplorer.java:307)
at com.ibm.team.jface.internal.util.UIUpdateManager$ForegroundJob.runProtectedInUI(UIUpdateManager.java:94)
at com.ibm.team.jface.internal.util.LoggingUIJob.runInUIThread(LoggingUIJob.java:71)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2009-12-09 09:09:26.453
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Loading".
!STACK 0
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com/ibm/team/workitem/common/expression/IQueryableAttributeFactory.findAllAttributes(Lcom/ibm/team/process/common/IProjectAreaHandle;Lcom/ibm/team/workitem/common/expression/IQueryableAttribute;Lcom/ibm/team/workitem/common/IAuditableCommon;Lorg/eclipse/core/runtime/IProgressMonitor;)Ljava/util/List;
at com.ibm.team.workitem.ide.ui.internal.queryeditor.QueryEditorInputFuture.findColumnAttributes(QueryEditorInputFuture.java:138)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.ide.ui.internal.queryeditor.QueryEditorInputFuture.constructEditorInput(QueryEditorInputFuture.java:84)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.ide.ui.internal.queryeditor.AbstractItemEditorInputFuture$1.runProtected(AbstractItemEditorInputFuture.java:85)
at com.ibm.team.foundation.client.util.FoundationJob.run(FoundationJob.java:68)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Accepted answer

31 other answers

permanent link
pascal dehaies (1) | answered Aug 29 '12, 11:58 a.m.
Yes, it work !

The -clean option make the copy/move feature available

Thanks a lot for your help.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 29 '12, 11:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As already suggested above, the best way is to use a zip version of the client. Install a special version for this. Then locate the files you want to replace and paste the replace files in that folder. The IM version might have the files in different locations e.g. the shared location.

Once you restart this Eclipse the bulk work item move should be available if you select multiple work items.

You can start Eclipse with -clean but if it is still not available you have potentially only overwritten one file or something else went wrong. I have tried that and it works for me.

permanent link
pascal dehaies (1) | answered Aug 29 '12, 11:20 a.m.
Our RTC version: 4.0

We replaced files:
  • com.ibm.team.workitem.common_3.1.0.v20120510_2207.jar
  • com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui_3.1.0.v20120510_2207.jar
in the RTC Eclipse client (we answer OK at the warning message)

But the menu "Copy/move" is still disable

permanent link
VK L (8177154159) | answered Aug 29 '12, 10:25 a.m.
 Hi Pascal,
                    It will be automatically enabled: when you select multiple workitems, say from a query output (on right-click.
Whats the RTC Version? make sure you are invoking the correct client ( the one which the jars are deployed  ) 

Thanks.

permanent link
pascal dehaies (1) | answered Aug 29 '12, 9:56 a.m.
Thank you Ralph for your step by step description but we have still a problem.

We followed all the steps and replaced the indicated files. We restarted Eclipse but the copy/Move item in the pop up menu is still disable for multi select WI and enable for one.

Is the copy/move menu become automaticaly on or do we have to enable it with a specific manipulation.

Thanks in advance.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 14 '12, 6:50 a.m.
Valli pointed out there is a version for 3.0.1 available on an older revision:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BulkMoveWorkItemsBetweenProjectAreas?rev=18

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 14 '12, 5:50 a.m.
edited Jul 14 '12, 5:51 a.m.
Hi,

there are currently only downloads available for 2.x and 4.0. https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BulkMoveWorkItemsBetweenProjectAreasInRTC3 does not have any downloads, so currently there is no plugin available for 3.0 - I asked the author to get one. As long as there is no download for 3.x you can't use it there.

In addition: Read the page carefully it is crucial to install a client with the correct version for the downloads. You have to make sure to download the install for the correct/supported ifix. I would suggest to get a zip version of the Eclipse RTC client, in which case the files need to go into the jazz\client\eclipse\plugins folder (this is for RTC 4.0 but I would expect it to be true for 2.x as well as 3.x as soon as there is a download available).

I tried with 4.0 and these were the steps:
 - I downloaded for RTC 4.0 (version matters), zip version of RTC Eclipse client.
- I downloaded the zip file from https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BulkMoveWorkItemsBetweenProjectAreasInRTC4 and unzipped it to a temporary folder.
- I searched for the jars com.ibm.team.workitem.common_3.1.0.v20120510_2207.jar and com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui_3.1.0.v20120510_2207.jar in the unzipped RTC Eclipse client and found then in ......\jazz\client\eclipse\plugins
 - I copied the downloaded Jars from the zip into that folder and was rewarded with a warning I would overwrite existing jar's. I overwrote both files. This is very important, because the jar's have to replace the built in functionality.
 - I started the Client, connected to a project area, selected a bunch of work items and copy/move is now enabled.

At least with 4.0 I assume when pasting the Jars into the folder you should always see a warning that you have to overwrite/replace the existing files. If that does not come up I would assume you have the wrong Client version or the wrong folder.

I will post once I have an answer for 3.x

permanent link
VK L (8177154159) | answered Jul 14 '12, 5:15 a.m.
Hi All, 

I tried out the plugin for 3.0.1.1 and 3.0.1. But i think i am missing some steps as its not getting activated at all. I deployed it in
IMSHared folder and teamconcert client's dropins folder and restarted the eclipse, but no effect. Please share the steps and details on how we can debug?

Thanks.

permanent link
VK L (8177154159) | answered Jul 13 '12, 6:54 a.m.
Hi All,
            I copied the bulk move workitems plugin for 3.0.1.1 into the IMSHared and drop-ins folders as mentioned in the 1st comment. Then i restarted eclipse and ran the query. But when i select multiple work items, i am not able to find the move/copy to project area option. How to debug this? any other steps required?

Thanks.

permanent link
VK L (8177154159) | answered Jul 12 '12, 3:23 a.m.
Hi All,
            I do not see the 3.0 version of the plugin at
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BulkMoveWorkItemsBetweenProjectAreas

Anyone have a copy?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.