It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do you navigate large Modules? / How to display chapter stucture / table of contents within DOORS?

R J (132) | asked Aug 09 '22, 4:40 a.m.
Hey everyone,
navigating large modules is very complicated. Am I doing something wrong?

This is why I was wondering if there is any way to dispay the chapter structure or table of contents for navigation purposes within a Module. Kind of how one would expect from a Word file.
The following posts suggests using an extension, but I feel there must be a native way to achieve that.

I figured using bookmarks, but that becomes convoluted quickly because the bookmarks are visible everywhere, and they need to be maintained manually. Reducing the visibility of bookmarks to a module does not appear to be possible (admittably that would abuse the concept of bookmarks considerably).

A work around I'm currently using involves a view that only shows headings, and scrolling to desired chapter to the top visible row and switching back to the view I intended to use.

How do you navigate large modules?

Greetings

Raphael

3 answers

permanent link
Richard Hall (107211) | answered Aug 09 '22, 11:35 a.m.

As stated in the other post the Module Explorer extension is the way to achieve this.

Is there a reason that you do not want to use this?

Comments
R J commented Aug 10 '22, 9:41 a.m.
Hi Richard,
using code I find on wikis without having fully understood it seems like a considerable security issue, so I'd like to avoid it if possible.
Maybe it's time to read up on the API, I just didn't expect it to happen so soon.
Greetings
Raphael

permanent link
Richard Hall (107211) | answered Aug 10 '22, 10:32 a.m.

In this case the add-in is provided by IBM which IMO gives little more of a security issue than if they included it with the initial install of the DOORS NG software.

The source code is available to inspect and/or modify as you wish

permanent link
Jean-François CHAPELLE (5412) | answered Aug 12 '22, 9:37 a.m.

It's a shame that the explorer module function as it existed in DOORS 9.x, has not been carried over to DNG...

There is a "Module Explorer" widget whose link must be on the forum. This widget reproduces what is found under DOORS 9.x to quickly access any chapter of the module.

Comments
Kimberly Boshers commented Aug 15 '22, 9:39 a.m.

Agree.  Can anyone tell me which part of the code to change to have turn off wrapping as the default? Also, is there a way to show in the module explorer only what is currently in the module view?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.