It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

GIT integration with ELM v702 without EWM

GURVINDER SOKHI (731339) | asked Jun 07 '22, 10:11 a.m.
We are potentially looking at integration GitLab or GitHib or Git with IBM ELM such that Git will be used for version control only (instead of EWM) and for all other capabilities the IBM ELM suite will be leveraged.

I'm doing impact analysis on IBM ELM toolset as result of Git integration into IBM ELM ie. negative impacts or loss of capabilities within IBM ELM toolset as listed below:
1) IBM Global Configuration (GC)  - GC does not support GIT
2) IBM Engineering Lifecycle Optimization – Engineering Insights (ENI)- ENI does not support GIT
3) IBM Jazz Reporting Services (JRS) - GC JRS does not support GIT
4) IBM  Rhapsody Model Manager (RMM)  - RMM does not support GIT
5) IBM EWM built-in Code Review tool - Code Review does not support GIT

I would appreciate if anyone has explored the option to integrate any flavors of Git with IBM ELM and can share their pros and cons.  

Thanking you in advance.

One answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Jun 07 '22, 6:41 p.m.
edited Jun 07 '22, 6:52 p.m.
I think it's important to understand that if you are using Git instead of Jazz SCM, then you are literally replacing Jazz SCM with all its inbuilt features with Git. You're not taking all the good bits of Jazz SCM and sticking Git in to store the files.

A far better way to phrase your question above is that:
 - Git doesn't support Global Configuration - but you can still use GC for everything else except your source configuration. You'll need to manage that using Git capabilities, Git addons, or manually via process because Git doesn't really have anything built in
 - Git doesn't support ENI, but then 99% of ENI is about everything around your source code control so you really don't lose much there
 - Git doesn't support JRS, but then once again there really isn't much in your SCM that is useful to report on. Most of the implementations people have created on top of Git, such as Github and Gitlab, provide the same sort of metrics that Jazz SCM provides so you don't miss anything there
 - Git doesn't support RMM, but you can store and version your Rhapsody models just fine in Git, and Rhapsody integrates with the other ELM tools without RMM
 - Git doesn't include an out of the box code review tool like Jazz SCM does, but you can add third party tools onto it

Really it's more about what Git doesn't do than ELM.

Having said that, if you are going to use Git with EWM then I personally would go with Gitlab, on prem. I've recently done Git integrations for several clients and it's by far the tightest integration.

- Bitbucket is virtually useless, it offers almost nothing. It's either the Atlassian Way or nothing
 - Github offers webhooks but you have to go up a few tiers to get them
 - Gitlab offers an out of the box integration in the product as well as webhooks, but on prem also gives you the ability to implement the full server side hooks that give you process integration. Only one or two of the cloud based offerings even give you the ability to add server side hooks, and those can only be done in the top tier paid version

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.