It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Unable to use flow targets in EWM to control write access for components

srinivas sakibanda (133) | asked May 25 '22, 7:29 p.m.

Hi All,

Consider the following case:
  • Project Area A in EWM has two streams named Stream A and Stream B.
  • Stream A owns component A and only Bob can access Stream A.
  • Stream B owns no components and only Steve can access Stream B.

My goal is to grant write access for Steve to be able to deliver changes to component A in Stream A.

To do this I have created a flow target from Stream B to stream A that is component scoped to component A with the direction being in and out (Steve wants to deliver and accept changes from Component A in Stream A).

With this setup in place how does Steve load component A from Stream A in the EWM client and make modifications within the Rhapsody client?

My main goal is to control the write access for components and hence thought maybe flow targets can help me? I know how to control the read access for components via access groups.

Any comments/help is much appreciated.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 30 '22, 4:02 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I think there is an issue with understanding the basic concepts of EWM. I will provide some links below.

1. Streams do not own components. Streams select the configuration of one or more components.
  2. Streams are to share work in teams. They usually are not visibility limited to only one owner. Repository workspaces are the concept that is owned by a user and usually only that user has access to it.
  3. Although it is possible to flow from one stream to another, this is not the main usage. Usually repository workspaces flow to one or more streams and are used for integration. Stream to Stream flow is only used to always deliver from one stream to another one, assuming that there are no conflicting changed on the flow target.
  4. Flow targets are not really meant to be used as some kind of access control mechanism.
Please see https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/RTCProcessFundamentals#Source_Control_Fundamentals and have a look at the links at the end of the wiki page. Interesting articles and pages I found:

https://jazz.net/library/article/87559

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.