It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Baseline Set Equivalent in Rhapsody

Calum Button (1312) | asked May 05 '22, 9:34 a.m.

Is it possible to take Baselines of Rhapsody models in a similar fashion to Baseline Sets in DOORS Classic?

E.g. we create some models and baseline them for release 1, we continue updating the models for release 2 and another team use the baselined models (release 1) to create test points/cases or more models at a lower level (i.e. expanding on some black box elements of release 1) and so on,

NB I understand there is a Baseline feature in RTC but I don't think it quite covers what I want, it just seems to baseline individual components.
Plus, I'm sure it would become possible through copying and storing files but that would be a fudge and would become very messy very quickly and put way too much reliance on other humans following a complex process and not taking short cuts etc. :-D

One answer

permanent link
Edmund Mayer (361) | answered May 05 '22, 2:29 p.m.
Baselines of Rhapsody projects and packages can be taken if using Rhapsody Model Manager (RMM).  RMM is RTC with a modeling extension that can be enabled per project area.  RMM therefore adopts the configuration management capabilities of RTC (renamed to Engineering Workflow Management starting with v7).

Many use a 1-1 mapping between an RTC/EWM component and a Rhapsody project, but a 1-many mapping is preferred for logical groups of Rhapsody projects that have the same delivery schedule and access rights.

Less common is having an RTC/EWM component mapped to a Rhapsody package.  If you want that, consider putting that package into its own Rhapsody project, and use package references to access the package from other Rhapsody projects.

Comments
Calum Button commented May 06 '22, 4:06 a.m.

Thanks Edmund,

If using RMM would we be forced to use DOORS Next? 

Chandan M B commented May 06 '22, 5:17 a.m.
No there is no such process. If you are using RMM, it offers version management capabilities and RMM diagram view features.

If you want to manage requirements in Doors Next and do linking with diagrams then you can use Doors Next. But if your use case purely modelling then you can use just RMM

Calum Button commented May 06 '22, 5:23 a.m.

Thanks Chandan,

Edmund seems to think it is possible and isn't version management part of what Baseline Sets are for?  Plus, I don't want to have to use DOORS Next, we currently work in Classic and, frankly, to date Next seems to have caused nothing but problems (especially in migrating as Next does not have the same functionality as Classic or adaptability).

Edmund Mayer commented May 09 '22, 5:25 p.m.
This response is on linking. 

If you were to use Rhapsody with RMM, you would be able to create OSLC links between Rhapsody model elements with DOORS or DOORS Next requirements.  But with DOORS you would also have to install DOORS Web Access to enable OSLC linking with DOORS.  Just like RMM bring OSLC to Rhapsody, DWA bring OSLC to DOORS.

Alternatively, you can link Rhapsody with DOORS using a sync-based tool like IBM Rhapsody Gateway or SodiusWillert ReqXChanger.  These two do not use OSLC and do not require DWA, and will still allow you to use RMM for configuration management of the models and web-access to the models.

Calum Button commented May 17 '22, 3:19 a.m.

Thanks Edmund,

DWA is not an option for us, but we do have Gateway so we shall start looking into it. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.