It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Permission error when trying to link work item as parent to a task in same project area

Spoorthy KP (21) | asked May 04 '22, 3:05 a.m.

When a user A having access to PA is trying to link a work item as parent to task, where both the workitem are in same PA is getting error :

"Could not save work item": CRJAZ1316E the user does not have permission to read item , which has the "workitem" Item type.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered May 04 '22, 4:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited May 04 '22, 4:46 a.m.
The question lacks a lot of details, which is a shame.

I wonder why there is the emphasis on "the same project area". Just because one has access to some data in a project area does not necessarily mean that they have access to everything.

The error mentions the "permission to read item". This could indicate that there is an access permission enforced in the project area. This can either be based on work item categories and team areas, or this can be done manually by making the Access Context accessible as attribute. 

I would suggest to ask the user to try to open the work item in question. If they can not you probably have read access limitations enabled and this is the desired behavior. The user would have to ask someone with access to the parent to do the change.

You can see that this is enabled in the process configuration, either the categories, or in the editor presentation making the access context attribute available for editing.

IF not, I would suggest to open a case with support, to find out what is going on.

Comments
Spoorthy KP commented May 04 '22, 4:54 a.m. | edited May 04 '22, 5:01 a.m.

User has the highest role at the project area level with that role, creating a link is possible as per access permission. 

Ralph Schoon commented May 04 '22, 4:59 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is nothing like a high, higher or highest role in EWM. I can have 200 roles or 2 that has all permissions, if I have no READ ACCESS to a work item I can not link it, regardless of my role.

The only limitation might be if the user is member of the Repository Group JazzAdmin, in which case the user could see the read access hidden item and they could at least make themselves member of the read access limiting team area or change the access context.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.