It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG review process and Reports

Lew Cote (53) | asked Apr 11 '22, 4:47 p.m.

HI,

I am trying to print out a DNG Requirement review summary, and I can only do this through DNG.   The issue is that it is not customizable.   

I also looked into Report Builder and could not find any attributes related to the review process under Requirements.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Accepted answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Apr 11 '22, 11:11 p.m.
Reviews are not surfaced in the Data Warehouse so aren't available in Report Builder.

What sort of customisation were you looking to do? You can do some basic customisation of the document by modifying the Word template attached to the review report, but if you want to change the detail and layout you would need to open the report template in IBM Engineering Lifecycle Optimization - Publisher (previously known as RPE).

That's what the current report was created with, and it's a separate product. Once the template's been customised you can upload it for everyone to use to generate the report
Lew Cote selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Lew Cote commented May 02 '22, 9:28 a.m.

HI Davyd,

So here is the scoop, I am trying to avoid using Word/Excel for a review status.   But I cannot see a way to modify and add new attributes to the Review status in DNG.  Since JRS does not contribute review status details to the warehouse, I guess I am stuck,  but the old RPE is the only choice but I am trying to get away for Word/Excel.  

I cannot add a screen shot as I do not have enough reputation points - HA

Thank you

Lew

Davyd Norris commented May 02 '22, 7:17 p.m.
Tell us exactly what you're trying to achieve - goals not function. I have gone through this quite a few times with different clients, and we've ended up with several solutions that worked in their circumstances.

The long and the short of it is that the actual reviewer/approver status for each artefact can't be customised - they either say yes, no or abstain.

RPE gives you a lot of possible reporting options, but it has to be run from the review itself, which really killed me a few times.

You also have artefact workflows that can really help, and which are available in the UI and RB. This is what we've ended up doing for most customers - you run the micro review process using the workflows, and the macro review then becomes a broader approve/reject using reviews

Lew Cote commented May 03 '22, 9:33 a.m.

The goal is to have a Report that contains all open Reviews and the status of four different reviewers.  Currently in the DNG open review participant section, we are copying the names of the reviewers, types of participant and review results. From here it is pasted into a excel spreadsheet, with macros it populates the status of all four different reviewers, a total of 16 columns .  With this spreadsheet, we then can see holistically the status of all the open reviews.  Each reviewers section is populated with their name, if it has been approved and if it is in progress or completed and the overall requirement under review.  The goal is to get away from Excel and use DNG and or JRS, but DNG does not have the needed functions to add these custom review attributes and JRS does not allow me to report on all open reviews in DNG.   I wish I could send a screen shots to help explain better but I cannot upload.

Thank you for your patience.

Davyd Norris commented May 03 '22, 6:34 p.m.
So that first sentence is the showstopper - there is no Reportable REST API end point that will give you all Reviews, and so everything from that point falls apart.

You can get the information you want for a single review, but you'll still need to manually run the RPE report against each open review, and then you'll still need to manually aggregate the results.

I've been trying to find an OSLC endpoint that would give me the IDs of reviews, and then that might be able to be used and parsed inside RPE to get a list but it's really fiddly

Lew Cote commented May 04 '22, 9:40 a.m.

Thank you Davyd for the response,

I feel that that all I can do here is enter a RFE against DNG in regards to having the review column bar be more customizable.   If this was possible to customize and have RB be able to see those customized columns, would be a great way to quickly assess where the review process stands for all open reviews. As I mentioned we have a solution just rather not use Excel.

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered May 02 '22, 11:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As far as I can see the DNG Reportable REST API exposes reviews.

This might be an option to extract the information you want.

permanent link
Lew Cote (53) | answered Apr 12 '22, 9:04 a.m.

Thank you Davyd for the response!

Well I am working on a request so I wanted to see what my options were after poking at this for a bit.  Once I receive more information, I will update this post.   But at least I know RB is out of the question and Word and RPE are the direction I need to go in.

Hope all is well

Lew

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.