It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I execute one test script to fill mulitple test cases ?

Stephane Capponi (111) | asked Apr 08 '22, 3:18 a.m.
edited May 23 '22, 4:55 a.m.
Hi everyone,

I need to run an executable that will run 200/300 tests (I don't have the control over it). I would like to know if it's possible within RQM to start the executable, wait for the results and parse it to extract every test cases ?

If it's not possible what is another solution ? I guess it would be REST Api. But if it's the case where should I link my test script ?

Steph

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered May 23 '22, 9:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please see the Extras in 

https://jazz.net/downloads/test-management/releases/7.0.2?p=allDownloads 

You can use the IBM Engineering Test Management Command-Line Adapter to run external test tools and feed back result data.

You can find the APIs for ETM here: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMProductAPILanding

The RQM Test Automation Adapter API might be of interest. The link currently fails on me. 

My interpretation would be that the test represents one test case or suite result. I am not sure if you would want to extract multiple. I am not sure about this.

Comments
Stephane Capponi commented May 23 '22, 10:31 a.m.

Hi @Ralph,

Thanks for your answer!

My idea was to have a test suite with all the related test cases. Run a single script at the test suite level and create a record for every test cases under the test suite.

The steps would be:
   - Start the script that run the 300 tests
   - Get the results for every tests
   - Create a record for the test suite and every test cases in the test suite

The thing is that It seems not possible to create a script at the test suite level. It seems that it's only available for a test case.

When you run a test suite it seems that it runs the script associated to every test cases...

Ralph Schoon commented May 23 '22, 10:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, as far as I can tell, test scripts can only be on certain levels. It is not a good idea to try to make tools things they are not designed for. So your automation would be just one test case with a lot of scenarios. 

You can try to use automation to do more, but this is often costly and the question would be what is the business case and how much would it save/cost. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.