It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there any ways to maintain Jazz (IBM ELM) installation (update,modify or uninstall) in command line mode?

honglin (173) | asked Nov 17 '21, 4:19 a.m.

I have read the topic in IBM docs about install Jazz platform (IBM ELM) in command line silent mode, it says we can set some parameters in the IBM Installation manager response file (silent-install-server.xml or silent-install-server2.xml),

so my questions is there any was to maintain Jazz (IBM ELM) installation (update,modify or uninstall) in command line mode?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 17 '21, 7:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

This is an installation manager feature. You can use the response file recording and the silent install feature (which documentation you refer to) for installing. You can use it for upgrading which is a new install and then running the upgrade script as well. I believe that this should also cover uninstall.

Some customers have completely automated the process. Note that you have multiple machines where you need to run these and you need to coordinate how to run across these servers.

selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
honglin commented Nov 17 '21, 9:12 p.m.

Hi Ralph,

for some reason, i can not insert picture here,
this is the original words from the response file (silent-install-server.xml),:

"Note that  these instructions do not cover command-line invocation of IM operations used to maintain an installation (such as Update, Modify and Uninstall). Instead, the use-case covered here assumes the goal is to produce an installation of the Jazz Team Server which can be zipped and relocated elsewhere on the filesystem, or to other machines with the same OS and architecuure. "

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 18 '21, 2:26 a.m.

If you do not have the reputation to add images, you can link to an image.

I know for a fact that you can use response files and silent install to install ELM. There is no upgrade install, if you need to upgrade you do a new install and run the repotools upgrade script. 

Since the deployment topologies are complex, you will definitely need additional capabilities to do all the steps required for a full system. I know customers that do this.

honglin commented Nov 23 '21, 1:02 a.m.

OK I see.

Then what about uninstall some ELM application components?  how to do that ?

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 23 '21, 2:03 a.m.

I am pretty sure that works as well. You can silent install Installation Manager, you can silent install ELM - https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/elm/7.0.0?topic=applications-installing-from-command-line I think commands to uninstall exist as well. ELM does not leave stuff in the registry, so you can just delete the install folders as well. Look up the documentation, I will not go in more details here.

I have looked into install and know that works. You might want to have additional tools such as Ansible or Urban Code to help automation across nodes. 

honglin commented Nov 23 '21, 3:00 a.m.

I read some contents about Installation Manager again, it seems that I can use IM to do these things, is that right?

honglin commented Nov 23 '21, 4:57 a.m.

I have tried the IM using console mode to install/uninstall ELM applications/components, it worked as expected. 

So no doubt about this topic again. 

Thanks for your kindly support.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

One other answer

permanent link
honglin (173) | answered Dec 10 '21, 2:16 a.m.

I finally use ./imcl -c command to install ELM, it is readable as in windows. 

Thanks a lot.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.