It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can you keep your trend data after migrating data warehouse database to different vendor

2 answers

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Oct 06 '21, 7:59 a.m.
edited Sep 18 '23, 8:10 a.m.
In version 7.0.2 it is possible to migrate data warehouse according to Migrating data from SQL Server to Db2 or Migrating data from SQL Server to Oracle steps.

For older versions there are few options:
  1. Do not migrate data warehouse vendor. You do not have to migrate your data warehouse if you are migrating the database for base applications.
  2. Create new data warehouse with new vendor and switch to this new vendor but keep the old data warehouse. If the users will need trend data from the past, they can create the new reports with the old data warehouse, if they need.
  3. Install the new database but keep the old one as default for some time. Do not disable data warehouse jobs on any of these databases. Use the old data warehouse for reporting. The purpose of installing a new data warehouse is to start gathering trend report there. Once you decide, that you have enough trend data in the new data warehouse, switch to the new data warehouse and disable DCC jobs on the old one.

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Oct 06 '21, 8:01 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You (or if not you) then someone who is familiar with database migrations would need to take this on as a project, comparing the table/column definitions between a data warehouse in the source and target database, then transforming the data accordingly.  We provide some pointers on the page you reference on the subsequent PUB row to help you get started. These apply to the data warehouse too:

Use database migration documentation/utilities/practices such as the following: 

Comments
Daniel Moul commented Oct 06 '21, 8:02 a.m.

you can think of my post here as a fourth option .

Ron Janssen commented Jun 02 '22, 9:39 a.m. | edited Sep 15 '23, 6:31 a.m.

Hello Daniel,

If I read well, you say it IS possible to migrate DW from SQL to Oracle successfully using the Oracle SQL Developer database migration utility. Do I read correct?
Myself I don't have Oracle experience, but our Oracle DBA has plenty :)

Regards, Ron Janssen

Daniel Moul commented Jun 02 '22, 2:50 p.m.

Ron, the reporting product team successfully migrated the PUB Doc Builder, and they are in the middle of attempting to migrate the data warehouse. We believe it is possible, however we haven't demonstrated that yet. We expect to document the steps once we've done it successfully.

FYI: this task includes questions/issues that have arisen thus far: 550438: Migrating DW from SQL Server to Oracle and test existing reports work

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.