It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

JRS: showing traceability to different subsystems in different columns

Max K (153) | asked Sep 04 '21, 8:02 a.m.
Let's say we have a DNG setup where system requirements are traced to different sub-systems (say subsystem-A and subsystem-B).

The aim is, using JRS, to present traceability from system req to different sub-systems in different columns (like it is easily possible in DOORS Classic)

e.g.

----------------------------------------
SYS_1    |   SSR-A_1    |   SSR-B_9
               |   SSR-A_2    |
SYS_2    |   SSR-A_3    |   SSR-B_5
               |                      |   SSR-B_6    
---------------------------------------
etc.

I've been able to get this far ...

|------------------------------
               |   SSR-A_2    |   SSR-B_9

... but have no idea how to display SSR-B_9 only once for SYS_1.

It looks this type of traceability view would not be possible to achieve without somehow combining SSR-A_1 and SSR-A_2 into a single cell on the report, which JRS doesn't seem to be capable of.

Just wanted to check if I am missing something obvious here, before I default to RPE ...

Thanks

4 answers

permanent link
Max K (153) | answered Sep 09 '21, 8:05 a.m.
edited Sep 09 '21, 8:09 a.m.

Thankyou to all who responded, although I feel I didn't articulate my question very clear.

The question is about reporting through JRS.

It is about how to report traceability information for system requirements, in such a way that each column of the report would contain linked objects from only one sub-system.

I.e. if the AMR system has a sub-component "Sensor" and another sub-component "Display", I want to report for each system requirement: in the first column - all linked Sensor-related sub-system requirements, and in the second column - all linked Display-related sub-system requirements.

I get the idea of sorting/grouping in JRS, and this is how I've achieved my outcome below, where everything is grouped by System Requirement:

SYS        |  SubSys A   |  SubSys B
==========================
               |---------------|--------------
               |   SSR-A_2    |   SSR-B_9

However I don't need the duplication of SSR-B_9, which is repeated for each item in column A. And no matter how I specify sorting order, it looks like it is not possible to group each column (A and B) independently for SYS_1, to get the following outcome:

SYS_1    |   SSR-A_1   |   SSR-B_9
               |---------------|
               |   SSR-A_2   |   

It looks like for each column on the report grouping is determined by the preceding columns, so that in our example column B can only be grouped by System Req and SubSystem A, and cannot be grouped just by System Req.

Is there anything that I may be missing?

If that assumption is true, than perhaps the only way to achieve the desired format is to combine values "SSR-A_1" and "SSR-A_2" into a single cell, e,g.:

SYS_1    |   SSR-A_1   |   SSR-B_9
               |   SSR-A_2   |   

But I can't think of a way to achieve this. Any Ideas please let me know.

Thanks

permanent link
Eric Baker (111) | answered Sep 09 '21, 5:49 a.m.
edited Sep 11 '21, 12:16 a.m.
 Requirements traceability information is often represented using traceability matrices, which relate requirements to stakeholders, each other or design modules. In a requirements traceability matrix tellthebell, each requirement is entered in a row and in a column in the matrix.

I just went through the process of printing a module with two extra columns (Priority attribute and Satisfies link relationships) -- just to remind myself exactly how it works.

If you print a module (icon in the upper left -- same row as the edit button) not the icon row below that) you can choose either book or table layout (as well as output file type).  If you choose table layout the additional fields will be shown.  If you choose book layout, only the main content of the module is shown.

permanent link
Jackie Albert (1.6k14946) | answered Sep 07 '21, 9:28 a.m.

Although it's not totally intuitive, if you sort the data, it will do automatic grouping which may help you accomplish what you're looking for.

permanent link
Pablo Fahey (111) | answered Sep 06 '21, 12:39 a.m.
edited Sep 07 '21, 8:31 a.m.

Requirements traceability information is often represented using traceability matrices, which relate requirements to stakeholders, each other or design modules. In a requirements traceability matrix, each requirement is entered in a row and in a column in the matrix.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Sep 06 '21, 12:03 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note that the question was how to display the traceability in a particular format, not whether there are other formats that could be used.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.