It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC SCM - API changed/removed in 7.x

sowmya M (1918) | asked Aug 25 '21, 8:18 a.m.
Hello Team,
We have some SCM query related for 7.x API.

When our client version was upgraded to 7.x from 6.0.6.1 , some of our SCM components was showing compilation error. When we checked in detailed, we came to know there were API changed.
In 6.x below API was supported from IBM - when there is an incoming subcomponent additions, incoming subcomponent removals or both.
                              SubcomponentCommonUtils.readSubcomponentData().
In 7.x, we don’t see this method anymore. This method is removed.  Instead in eclipse it suggest for SubcomponentCommonUtils.parseSubcomponentData(). 
Our concern as follow:
1.            Was  there any documented circulated to notify such API change across topics.
2.            Which method we need to use instead of SubcomponentCommonUtils.readSubcomponentData() method.

3.            Does readSubcomponentData() & parseSubcomponentData() methods are same.

we are facing lot of compilation error in the project. please help here.

Thankyou
-Geetha M

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 25 '21, 9:07 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello Geetha,

I thought I had made it clear that the statement 

In 6.x below API was supported from IBM - when there is an incoming subcomponent additions, incoming subcomponent removals or both.
is wrong. The package name of the class mentioned above contains internal which clearly distinguishes it from supported API. 

Any class containing internal in the namespace/package name path, or when it is stated by a plugin using access limitation is internal and unsupported. You use it on your own risk and it can change any time without mentioning. Changes of internal API will not be documented or announced.

I think Geoff provided a name of another class that could be used.

sowmya M selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
sowmya M (1918) | answered Aug 25 '21, 9:32 a.m.
Hello Ralph,

It was very clear from you and Geoff. I was looking for document if anyone can provide for same. and i was looking for the answer w.r.t 2 methods. id read() and parse() method are same or different.
I have incorporated the changes and its working as expected.

Thank you for the clarification.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 25 '21, 9:45 a.m. | edited Aug 25 '21, 9:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Then I am sorry. If you would reword your question and make it clearer what you are looking for, I would not touch the question. The question above makes the impression that a supported interface was removed without notice. I could not let that sit there the way it was. If you ask for any information for which class(es) to use instead, I would be fine.

Please make sure to mention it is an internal class you have used. I am pretty sure that Geoff's  suggestion is good. You could also look into the code in 6.0.6.1 and try to recreate your own helper class from the code, using supported API. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.