It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Mylyn RTC Connector?

Anup Ramachandran (111) | asked Jul 05 '21, 3:53 a.m.
edited Jul 05 '21, 4:03 a.m.

Hi Team,

I am currently trying to test the IBM Engineering Workflow Management tool (formerly known as RTC) using the trial cloud offered (version 7.02).  I had a customer request which asked on the connector between Mylyn and RTC.

There are support pages back from 2010 and early referring to Mylyn connector incubator project. There is no link and I assume the project is dropped . So my question is how to workaround with this and what are the available options for such a requirement. Does the eclipse client solve this problem or is there any other recommendations that you would suggest?

<u5:p> </u5:p>

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 05 '21, 1:51 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

It is unclear what Mylyn ended up doing (the restructuring in 2015 indicated they were having trouble getting buy-in from other Eclipse projects).   So I'd suggest asking the customer "what functionality are they using with Mylyn, and what integration are they looking for between that functionality and EWM".   In particular, it is unclear whether Mylyn ended up with its own task management system, or just provide a task-based integration to existing task management systems.  In either case, it is the standard question of integrating EWM work items with either Mylyn tasks or Mylyn's task integration framework.  If Mylyn correctly implemented OSLC (which appears to be part of their charter), then this integration should just work, and if they didn't, then you'd have to find someone to add an OSLC API layer to Mylyn.

Comments
Anup Ramachandran commented Jul 09 '21, 10:59 a.m.

The customer is trying to integrate change management . And with the OSLC API layer to Mylyn it was for task management I believe. This was also somewhat quiet a few years back but that also has been stopped.

I know there are solutions by Tasktop for integrating Mylyn but is there something similar which is offered by EWM? What happened to the Mylyn connector incubator project ? 

Anup Ramachandran commented Jul 09 '21, 11:02 a.m.

The customer is trying to integrate change management . And with the OSLC API layer to Mylyn it was for task management I believe. This was also somewhat quiet a few years back but that also has been stopped.

I know there are solutions by Tasktop for integrating Mylyn but is there something similar which is offered by EWM? What happened to the Mylyn connector incubator project ? 

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 09 '21, 5:31 p.m.
The RTC Mylyn incubator was started in 2008, and stopped in 2009, and nothing has been done with it since then.   The reason it was stopped is that there was not sufficient customer interest in Mylyn to warrant continuing it.

Anup Ramachandran commented Jul 19 '21, 9:31 a.m.

In that case I would like to know if you have any information about the commercial tasktop connector. Would you know if it fits our purpose or any other info so that we could try it out for our use case.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 19 '21, 10:34 a.m.

Consider approaching Tasktop. They know what they can provide.

You do not provide any details about what such an integration shopuld do. And I think most of the experts here maybe unaware of what Mylin does. 
"I had a customer request which asked on the connector between Mylyn and RTC."

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.