It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Engineering Drawings as requirements in DOORS NG

Raj Sen (131) | asked Apr 30 '21, 4:10 p.m.

How can I translate electrical schematic drawing into a set of requirement artifacts?  It is a part of a specification document and contains exclusive design information not available anywhere else.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Carol Watson (71015) | answered Apr 30 '21, 4:57 p.m.

Hi Raj,

What we do with things like that is print to a PDF, upload the PDF to DOORS NG, then embed it in another artifact.  We have an artifact type of Supporting Document that we use for any file that is uploaded.

Once you open the artifact where you wish to embed it, you use Insert Artifact.  I'm assuming here that you're using a Module. 

Search for the ID of the "supporting document", then highlight to select: 

Once embedded there are icons that allow the viewer to expand to full size, open the embedded artifact, maximize and minimize. 

Regards,
Carol

Raj Sen selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Raj Sen commented Apr 30 '21, 5:17 p.m.

Hi Carol,

Thanks for sharing the method to associate drawings. 

Ian Barnard commented May 04 '21, 4:13 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Be careful when embedding to upload and embed within the same component

One other answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Apr 30 '21, 9:25 p.m.
Hi Raj,

What I do is set up version control in a ccm project and then get the engineers to add major baselines of the drawings to that. I then link the requirements to the versioned drawings.

The external file approach above is great when you have just one release of the drawing, or if the engineers don't need to be able to work with the drawings in their native format. The version control approach is great when you are trying to package up everything you need for a product release - you can draw a baseline through your CAD files, your electronic PCB design files, and your software components

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.