It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Import Bulk Traces into DNG

Perry Chang (111) | asked Apr 14 '21, 4:31 p.m.

Hello, we are moving our entire repository from classic DOORS to DNG.  We are running into some issues with traces and linkages and it's negatively impacting our productivity.  

At the moment, we are manually handling all the traces (satisfies in/out) thru DNG browser and it's labor intensive and prone to error.  Are there any automatic import capability to establish the tracing in DNG?  I imagine my input is a 2 column CSV file, and the first number is the parent requirement ID, and the second number is the child requirement ID.  If a tool/extension can simply parse all lines of the CSV file and imports the trace, that will effectively complete all the traces.

We have over 4000 requirements in the baseline, and traces were already established between our specifications.  Any pointers on how to automate this would be greatly appreciated!  Sorry if this is a repost and if solutions are already out there, please point me to that.  Thanks!

2 answers

permanent link
Adrian Pitonak (641) | answered Apr 16 '21, 11:07 a.m.

Hello Perry, 

We developed DNG Extension which can fill your needs and we can also adjust it based on your needs.

Kind Regards,

Adrian

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Apr 14 '21, 10:20 p.m.

Have you tried using the DOORS to DNG migration capability? It will move the traces for you

Comments
Perry Chang commented Apr 15 '21, 12:21 a.m. | edited Apr 15 '21, 12:22 a.m.

Davyd,

Thanks for the response.  I did not know there is a DOORS to DNG migration capability.  I will look into that as some of our traces are kept in classic DOORs.

Back to the initial question because we still have many traces stored on spreadsheets, are there any existing tools that can automate the import and make our lives easier?  If it does not exist, do you think this is something that can be done through a custom DNG API extension?  Thanks! 

Davyd Norris commented Apr 15 '21, 12:53 a.m.
You have two options:
 - the Link By Attribute feature in DNG, which will take a list of comma separated DNG IDs in an attribute and turn them into links
 - importing a CSV file with a column that's been set up with the correct name and contents

The former is simple to set up as all you need is the DNG ID of the destination artefact, but the down side is that you can only do a max of 200 at a time because it's through the web UI.

The latter is harder to set up and you need to make sure you get both your format and import location correct in order to create the links in the right context, but you can do any number of links in one hit.

The name of the column and format of the information is best seen by exporting some artefacts with the link set as Excel. When you do this you'll see the data looks like:
<some text>{LINK id="<an ID>" uri="<uri>"}

For import, the minimum you need is just {LINK id="<an ID>"}

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.