It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

REST API Backlinks

Steven Wallace (336) | asked Mar 31 '21, 3:03 p.m.
Using the OSLC REST API I'm attempting to create a 'Validates Requirements' for a Test Script Step. In order to do so, I perform a PUT to the desired ExecutionElement2 after adding a <oslc_qm:validatesRequirement> element for the Requirements Management requirement I wish to add. After doing so I receive a status code 200. But while the requirement now shows against the test script step the requirement is not listed in the parent Test Script 'Validates Requirements' nor the parent Test Case for the Test Script. Upon further review I also notice a backlink is not being created for the linked Requirement within Requirements Management. Is there a configuration setting that must be set for these links to be created or is there something I'm missing?

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 31 '21, 4:35 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Have you turned on versioning for the RM/QM project areas? 

Steven Wallace commented Apr 01 '21, 6:47 a.m.
Geoffrey,

Thanks for your comment. I'm only the developer for the effort so I don't know much of the configuration details, but I'm more than willing to learn. With that being said, I've taken what you mentioned and noticed that the "Configuration Management" area in the QM and RM projects are set to "Nothing". Further more the section has a note that says "Links across project areas are managed by each application storing a copy of the link", by "each application". Is this referring to Jazz applications themselves or those outside applications making use of the the REST API? Or am I in the wrong area to see the versioning your referring to? Thanks for the help!

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 01 '21, 7:44 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The "application" being referred to here is the Jazz application (the one managing the artifact that are being linked).  And yes, if "Configuration Management" is set to "Nothing" in the project area, then versioning has not been turned on for that project area.  The reason this is relevant is that if versioning is turned on, then the "backlinks" are found by querying for links, while if versioning is not turned on, then an explicit backlink has to be created in the artifact being linked to.   I don't know whether the OSLC put is expected to automatically create the back-link, or whether you are expected to do another OSLC put against the target artifact to explicitly create the backlink.   From what you are seeing, it sounds like it is the latter (i.e. you will have to explicitly create the backlink).   

WRT inheriting that link from the test script step to the test script and to the test case, yes, you should be seeing the test script step link on the test script, so something wrong is happening there if you aren't seeing that.   On inheriting links from the test script steps to the test case, there is a Project Property in the Test Script Preferences section which specifies whether that should be done.   If that is not checked, then it is expected behavior for it not to be inherited.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.