It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Rational RTC and Oracle on AWS cloud

Kent Roberts (111) | asked Feb 22 '21, 11:10 a.m.
closed Mar 20 '23, 4:25 a.m. by David Honey (1.8k17)

Our IT department is moving all the Oracle services from in house servers to the cloud. This includes the Oracle Database that serve our Rational Tools applications.

We have been prototyping this change on  sandbox servers for Jazz, RTC, RQM, RM and Data Warehouse. 

We have been able to move the DB from the in house servers to AWS cloud and all seems to function, however the RTC diagnostic for the Database fails because the performance measurement is 4500 ms, way above the 2500 ms allowed. The performance before the change to AWS cloud was 45 ms.

We have also did  a " repotools-rm -reindex all" of the Requirements Management DB indices and what  took 10 minutes with the in house DB now takes over 90 with the AWS cloud.

The AWS cloud DBA says that all looks normal on his side and suggests that we move the entire RTC installation, not just the Oracle DB, to the cloud.

My question is, has anybody have this kind of setup, RTC applications running on in house servers with the DB on the cloud?

Thanks

The question has been closed for the following reason: "The question is answered, right answer was accepted" by davidhoney Mar 20 '23, 4:25 a.m.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Feb 22 '21, 11:15 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

>>> The AWS cloud DBA says that all looks normal on his side and suggests that we move the entire RTC installation, not just the Oracle DB, to the cloud.

There needs to be low latency between the jazz applications and the database

This may be helpful:

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Feb 22 '21, 5:58 p.m.
I would definitely not run this setup for production - there's just too much variability in an external Internet connection to a DB in the Cloud.

I set up and maintained a full CLM set up in the AWS environment for one of my clients for several years. They used the SQL Server RDS as the back end database service, and a series of VMs with each of the Jazz apps deployed and it worked really well.

It wasn't a full enterprise environment - they were focussed on Quality Manager, so I ended up having one VM specifically for the QM application, one VM for the rest of the applications, and one VM for the reporting components (DCC, RB and initially LQE but then we turned that off as they really weren't using it).

We also set up a VM running AD for their LDAP, and had a CLM web proxy defined using the AWS appliances.

It was pretty seamless really, if not expensive. If IBM's SaaS offering was available at that time, I would definitely have recommended that instead.

permanent link
Kent Roberts (111) | answered Feb 25 '21, 9:07 a.m.

Thanks for the comments.

We are now looking into other solutions including moving all our Rational tools to the cloud.

Comments
Ryan McBryde commented Mar 17 '23, 10:04 a.m.

Hi Kent,

I have our entire CLM 6.0.6.1 environment;  JTS, RTC, RQM, RDNG, DCC, RS, running in the AWS cloud with the SQL Server RDS as the backend DBMS.  To upgrade to 7.0.2, however, I have to migrate off of SQL Server and onto Oracle and I am experiencing connection issues because the databases are secured.  We keep seeing these errors:
"The server was unable to connect to the database because the database connection settings are invalid or because database is unreachable (SQLSTATE: 08006, SQLCODE: 17002). Verify the connection settings in your teamserver.properties file."

With this connection string:
com.ibm.team.repository.db.jdbc.location=thin:<DBNAME>/{password}@//hostname.rds.amazonaws.com:1521:<SID>

Any insight from your experience would be appreciated. If my experience with running the apps in the cloud can help you, I am glad to share.
Thank you

David Honey commented Mar 20 '23, 4:25 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

@Ryan McBryde please post your question as a new question rather than comment on a 2 year already answered question. In this specific case, I recommend you contact Ratioal Technical Support.