It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to work with multiple versions of a standard across many projects - Looking for ways to implement it

Janet Cook (236) | asked Feb 09 '21, 9:46 p.m.

I am looking for help.advice on how best to implement soemthign in DOORS NExt.

We have many projects all in same industry area. There are a number of Standards that the projects have to comply to (Each project will have a subset of all the standards they need to comply to) . Projects have to comply to the version of the standard that is current at the start of the project   The standards get updated at irregular intervals - often only minor changes. Occasionally a project will need to update to a later version of the standard (for commercial reasons).

\We want to put all the standards into DOORS Next. 
I am trying to avoid having to put a copy of the correct version of the standard into each of the projects as I would rather have a single copy to maintain. 

What I am thinking of doing is putting all the standards into a single reference project and using Configuration management Streams to store the changes from the base version of the standard.

If we do this can we link from the development projects to a specific stream?

Does anyone have any other ideas of how to do it?

I am open to suggestions.
Thank-you

2 answers

permanent link
Jan Jancar (736) | answered Feb 11 '21, 5:15 p.m.

Hello Janet,

there are at least 2 ways to solve this. We have summarized the way in the article:
There are standards which can be updated without baseline and some which have certain baseline based on Regulations Update.

Option 1: You want to link to baselined state of the regulation
Available example Configurations of Standards
  1. Standards Component - Baseline 2019
  2. Standards Component - Baseline 2020 - (baselined requirement we are linking to..)
  3. Standards Component - Current Stream - (not yet baselined)
Current standard means for you a standard which is in certain baseline -> Solution: Make Global Configuration with Standard Component (Baseline 2019) and Project (Stream)
Solution:
Current standard means for you a standard which is in certain baseline -> Solution: Make Global Configuration with Standard Component (Baseline 2019) and Project (Stream)

Option 2: You want to link to current (at the time of linking) state of the regulation
  1. Standards Component - Baseline 2019
  2. Standards Component - Baseline 2020 - (valid standard version is the one from March 2020, then it was changed  and baseline was done June 2020)
  3. Standards Component - Current Stream - (not yet baselined)
Solution:
Copy the requirement to your project and update it via Softacus "Variant Copy Add On" if the Original and Copy are different (or manually).
If the standard changed between March 2020, and today you can make this visible via "Link Validity" question mark. (I am assuming you have enabled it).

Fell free to contact us via email at info@softacus.com if you need more advanced scenarios solved, we have experience with this kind of scenarios.

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Feb 15 '21, 11:49 a.m.
edited Feb 15 '21, 11:52 a.m.

Hi Janet,

I was involved in a concept to deploy a similar solution using multiple projects and a global configuration strategy.

1. We assume you have a "Standards" created as components in a Configuration managed project in "DOORS Next" 
2. We assume each of the artifacts/standards has a version / date to control changes and also attributes for the Project configuration to use.
3. You may wish to use DOORS Next Workflows to re-set any NEW or updated standards to support the process.
4. You will need to use a common DNG Template across Standards and Project configurations.

DOORS NEXT Project - Standards

Component Standard A

Stream (Main): is your MASTER Standard A which you can update, baseline and version control.
"When you want a separate branched version you create a "stream" from the MASTER"
- Changes can then be pull from the Master into the project versioned copies.

Branch Streams:  The "Branches" from your MASTER become the Project Specific version:
  • "Standards A - Project 1
  • "Standards A - Project 2"

Example Project Setup

Project 1- Global Configuration setup:
  •  CG Component = Requirements "Standards"
    • Stream (or Baseline)= Standard A Project 1
    • Stream (or Baseline)= Standard B Project 1
Project 2- Global Configuration setup:
  •  CG Component = Requirements "Standards"
    • Stream (or Baseline)= Standard A Project 2
    • Stream (or Baseline)= Standard B Project 2
This is one option for you but also creates complexity for changes in DNG config and your will need to use LQE reporting.  If you want to understand more then give me a shout.
Matt Muller
SyntheSys Technologies

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.