It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Selective Role based workflow state transition

GURVINDER SOKHI (731339) | asked Jan 25 '21, 6:27 p.m.

Is possible to implement role-based work item state transition Workflow in RTC? I have researched but cant seem to find a viable solution.

<o:p> </o:p>

Customers process template has several RTC roles. For example developer role is able to raise a new defect work item type. Defect work item has simply workflow ie. NEW->IN-PROGRESS->VERIFY->CLOSED <o:p> </o:p>

Is it possible to apply role based work item state transition as listed below: <o:p> </o:p>

-only team lead role is able to transition defect work item from New state to Closed state <o:p> </o:p>

-any role is able to transition defect work from IN-PROGRESS state to Closed state <o:p> </o:p>

-any role is able to transition defect work from Verify state to Closed state <o:p> </o:p>

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 26 '21, 4:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have a lot of other words for "flexible". One would be "confusing". Since the workflow action is the same there is no way to distinguish the start state. 

You can still do it, but you would have to develop a custom Advisor - a Java Server extension, that analyzes the state transition attempted and prevents the save.

One word of wisdom. I have a lot of experience with development processes and their lifecycle. Don't overcomplicate your workflows. 

Customers tend to overdo it over time. Then the users fail to follow the workflow. Then they blame it on the tool. They select a new tool that demos nicely with a simple workflow. Then they change to that tool. Then they start customizing the workflow. Then they either complain about the tool not being "flexible" enough to customize, or they start the whole circle again with customizing this tool to death until they start the next tool selection.

GURVINDER SOKHI selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
GURVINDER SOKHI commented Jan 26 '21, 4:45 a.m.

I fully agree with you and do understand your point of view.

When you say "custom Advisor - a Java Server extension", do you imply server plugin war/jar file that would have to be deployed on the server ?

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 26 '21, 5:07 a.m.

I mean a RTC Server Extension "Advisor/Precondition" Plugin. See examples here: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/?s=advisor&submit=Search

RTC Extensibility information and references especially to the Extensions Workshop can be found here: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2015/09/30/learning-to-fly-getting-started-with-the-rtc-java-apis/

As a summary you develop a at least one Java class contained in a plugin/feature based on the RTC SDK that is deployed in the server/conf/ccm folder.

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 26 '21, 2:20 a.m.

Process Configuration>Configuration>Team Configuration>Permissions>[role]>Work Item>Save Work Item (server)>Trigger a workflow action>..... can be used to prevent roles from performing workflow actions.

Comments
GURVINDER SOKHI commented Jan 26 '21, 4:09 a.m.

Unfortunately that doesn't meet the need. Customer would like the same developer role to be able to CLOSE defect from IN-PROGRESS state but not from NEW state therefore making the solution flexible and not rigid.

Using the method you suggested would disable all CLOSE action for developer role on defect which is not want is required.  

Is the flexible behaviour described above configurable in RTC anywhere?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.