It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

question about process sharing

jane zhou (106865) | asked Nov 18 '20, 12:24 p.m.

Hi Some one who may concern,

Our Org plan to use a general template for all projects from different department to make it easier to collect data cross the projects.

However, our project have some customization not suitable for general template. say, some attributes need to be mandatory for our project, but not for other projects.

So, the Org team wants to know whether RTC can support the following feature:
1 If anything in Template project is changed, the same change should take effect in all projects using project configuration from this project area  automatically, i.e. the sync up connection between Template project and all target projects is always on.  

2  Based on that, the owner of the target project can customize any attributes on their own project, and  overrule any change from Template project. 

I.e. it works like we are all cat, but some are  American Wirehair, some are British Longhair, some on Javanese cat...

I doubt it can be supported, because I notice in project for Types and  attributes section, there is a warning as follows:

This configuration data comes from the process defined in another project area, [XXX] . If you customize this configuration data, this project area will no longer inherit changes to the data in [XXX].

Does that mean, if we customize the configuration data for our project, the connection between Template project will be broken? i.e. any changes from template project will no longer take effect on our project?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Jane 

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 18 '20, 3:58 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There are a few things that you can customize without interfering with process inheritance.

In particular:
  • Adding a new attribute to a work item type and adding that attribute to the work item editor for that type.
  • Adding a new literal to an existing enumeration.
  • Adding a new enumeration type.
  • Renaming a custom attribute

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.