It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Find Child Streams of a Parent Stream using GC-Libraries in java

Jitesh Saha (179) | asked Oct 01 '20, 6:47 a.m.
I have a usecase where I need to find a stream by it's ID and also find the Child streams of thet queried stream. All this using existing APIs or GC-Libraries in java.

but I couldn't find my scenario. 

I'm new to the domain. Perhaps I'm looking into the wrong place.

If such java libraries exist , where can I find them and some references on this.

One answer

permanent link
Nick Crossley (1463) | answered Oct 01 '20, 10:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Jitesh,

Could you please clarify what you mean by 'child streams'? There are two quite different relationships that often use this same term.

First, there is the relationship between a global configuration and a configuration (global or local) contributed to it. For example, if I have a global stream GS1, and there is a DOORS Next requirements stream RS2 that contributes to GS1, some people say that RS2 is a child of GS1.

Second, there is a derivation relationship within the application that owns configurations. For example, if in DOORS Next you have a requirements stream RS2, and a baseline of that stream called RB2, and you then create a stream RS3 from RB2, then some people say that RS3 is a child of RB2, which in turn is a child of RS2.

Personally, I try not to use of parent/child terminology for relationships between configurations so that I can avoid this ambiguity.

To answer your original questions:

To query for a specific GC by its numeric ID, you would use the query capability defined at https://jazz.net/sandbox01-gc/doc/scenario?id=QueryConfigurations, and query for oslc:shortId.

Then, if by child you mean the relationship between a global configuration and its contributions, those will be returned indirectly via the oslc_config:contribution property when you do a GET on the global stream (or global baseline). Each oslc_config:contribution value will be a URI of an inline resource returned with the GET, and that inlined resource will have an oslc_config:configuration link pointing to the contributed configurations. See example 3 in the same query API page for some sample RDF returned for contributions.

If by child you mean the other relationship between a DOORS Next or ETM stream and the streams created from baselines of that stream, I am not currently aware of a public API to get that information.

Comments
Jitesh Saha commented Oct 05 '20, 6:35 a.m.
Nick,

Thank you for your response. By Parent-Child relationship I meant the first scenario you have mentioned. Thank you for bringing the terminology to my knowledge. I'll be careful using then next time.

And I am aware for the REST and OSLC queries to fetch the information I need, It's still helpful. However I was hoping to find a java library or existing api ( which is not REST ) to avoid writing the boiler plate codes and overheads.

Is there a public API of such kind ?

Jitesh Saha commented Oct 05 '20, 9:05 a.m.
Also while we're on the topic
is there a way to achieve the same using: jazz foundatation api or java sdk

I want to get children streams and stream name from stream ID/ UUID

Nick Crossley commented Oct 05 '20, 11:03 a.m. | edited Oct 06 '20, 9:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The only public APIs for the above actions are the REST APIs.

Jitesh Saha commented Oct 06 '20, 12:12 a.m.

That information was very helpful. Thank you Nick.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.