It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Running on top of CVS

Logan Swapp (611) | asked Jan 16 '08, 4:12 p.m.
I'm in the process of trying to get Jazz working in sync with our organization's existing CVS repository. I can import the CVS projects into Jazz just fine, but the problem arises when trying to push changes back to the CVS. From what I've read in some old threads, it's necessary to uncomment some code in plugins.xml (which I can't find) in order to enable manual synchronization of a Jazz workspace with the CVS. Is this still the way to go about things, and if so where is the plugins.xml file located?

Why is this code commented out in the first place, or more importantly why can't I set Jazz to sync with the CVS automatically? I can't very well port everything over to Jazz and ditch our CVS repo when Jazz is still beta and no pricing info has been released for the upcoming retail version...

4 answers

permanent link
Bob Wold (6) | answered Jan 28 '08, 1:21 p.m.
I agree, we will never be able to start using this in the office if the changes don't go back into the cvs repository. Once you have a good enough reputation, this might be an option, but it will be hard to get early adopters without this functionality.

permanent link
Logan Swapp (611) | answered Jan 17 '08, 11:18 a.m.
That's very discouraging news, but thanks for the reply. I posted on the work item as you suggested.

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Jan 17 '08, 9:38 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The code is commented out because it no longer functions. In the early
stages of Jazz development, this functionality was used to back up the
contents of the Jazz repository while the development team self hosted.
Once the Jazz SCM became stable, the CVS syncing functionality was no
longer used or maintained because there was no man power available to
work on it.

Here is a link to a work item requesting this type of functionality:

https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/40296

You should add a comment to the work item stating your need for this
feature. This feature is currently not on the list of features to be
included in the Team Concert 1.0 release.

Michael

lswapp wrote:
I'm in the process of trying to get Jazz working in sync with our
organization's existing CVS repository. I can import the CVS projects
into Jazz just fine, but the problem arises when trying to push
changes back to the CVS. From what I've read in some old threads,
it's necessary to uncomment some code in plugins.xml (which I can't
find) in order to enable manual synchronization of a Jazz workspace
with the CVS. Is this still the way to go about things, and if so
where is the plugins.xml file located?

Why is this code commented out in the first place, or more importantly
why can't I set Jazz to sync with the CVS automatically? I can't very
well port everything over to Jazz and ditch our CVS repo when Jazz is
still beta and no pricing info has been released for the upcoming
retail version...

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Jan 17 '08, 9:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The old threads talked about technology we used 2 years ago to move our own code from CVS to Jazz. We built a very brittle connector between Jazz and CVS, but it was painful and we wouldn't ever want to have others try and use it. So it was commented out and currently has been removed from the code base.

To productize this tool, it would take more time than we have available. Connectors for CVS and Subversion are not planned for the 1.0 release. We will however provide importers, and expect that teams can use the importers to evaluate Jazz and ultimately move their teams source code over as well. There is also the option of moving to Jazz for Work Items, Planning, and Builds, while keeping your source code in CVS for some time.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.