It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I get RPE to produce a separate document for each work item it processes?

John Bacon (132) | asked Sep 22 '20, 12:33 p.m.

I am using RPE 6.0.5 and 6.0.6 (from different machines,) reporting against RTC 6.0.5 and would like to get a separate document output for each work item the template finds and processes. Each item represents a unique and complete set of work, and is required to be turned in as a separate PDF document. I am not sure if this is truly possible.

I have tried using the Document Break element, but that doesn't appear to do anything at all, let alone what I need it to. It could be my expectation of that element's function or my usage of it, so any insight as to how to properly use that element would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

permanent link
Chris Hardy (3315) | answered Nov 15 '23, 11:55 p.m.
This example was very useful.
One thing I would point out is that the Document Break element has a Specific property for setting the name of the next word document/ excel work sheet

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered Sep 23 '20, 1:25 a.m.
edited Sep 23 '20, 1:26 a.m.
Hi John,
Document Break element adds a document break to the output resulting in a new file for Word output and a new sheet for Excel output. Please check if “Multipart Output” property is set to DYNAMIC.
You can find sample template in my blog:

Comments
John Bacon commented Sep 23 '20, 12:49 p.m.

Thank you for the quick reply. The blog post is helpful, as well as the note on setting the "Multipart Output" property in the .dsx file. In an effort to align my template with your sample (many thanks for that as well) I tried a couple of changes like moving the document break element to the top of my container (previously at the bottom) and adding the Dynamic DSC (unsure if this is relevant but wanted a good match for testing) which your post says is to reinitialize the query. However, I am still not able to get multiple documents. I must be doing something a little differently to cause it not to work for me. Any additional advice would be appreciated!

Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Sep 24 '20, 1:01 a.m.

You can attach your template so that I can have a look.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.