It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Experience with Jazz 7.0 and DERBY as database

Steffen Koller (11) | asked Aug 10 '20, 9:29 a.m.
Hi,

Since we use Jazz 7.0  (instead 6.0.6.1 before) the performance is significant low.
Partly there are deadlocks in the database that cause that the GUI hangs for a long while.

I was told that is because of internal chances in database handling of Jazz 7.0.

However I would like to ask if someone uses Derby and can agree that Derby is not longer to be used even if we have only some small demo Artifacts and a few users.

For my understandung deadlocks are based on weak desing. And technically the Derby DB is working - just significant slowly....

So if there is s.o. that can prove that a setup with Derby is working fast, this may help to find the root cause.

So far I plan to change to DB2, but have to find the correct installation package first and do all the stuff....

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 10 '20, 11:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 10 '20, 11:51 a.m.
Derby is not (and has never been) supported as a production database. It is for smal test and demo environments only.

I use it for small test environments and it works good enough for me. In General a full ELM environment it is a lot of stuff that runs on my laptop so the performance is not great.

Comments
Steffen Koller commented Aug 11 '20, 1:58 a.m.
Hi Ralph,

and THIS is exactly what we have: A demonstration setup with a few projects that contains some few items. - Far away from any productional usage.
Typically not more than two users are working with the system.

AS it is an option for demonstration to use Derby it should at least not easily lead to deadlocks in a database that manifest that the GUI and tool is hanging if you e.g. generate a link between two items.

Steffen Koller commented Aug 11 '20, 2:00 a.m.
To add:
I try to convert to BD2, but due to technical atgumentation I am not convinced that this solves the problem.
And - to be honest - I not even simply found the DB2 installation package for Linux on IBMs website.....
* somehow frustrating *

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 11 '20, 3:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I use Derby for development and demo purposes and I have not seen any issue with 7.0.
The development team has suggested to remove support for derby several times now, due to technical issues and the maintenance cost. It is not all code generation. There is testing and a bunch of other costs. So far they have kept it, for which I am very grateful. I can zip the whole Derby DB and all the rest and have a backup. Some features are not supported with Derby since some time now.

I can not talk about errors with no error or deadlocks without proof there are. When I play around as one user or demo, I don't see these.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.