It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

.NET integration: Are solutions required?

Andy Moynahan (6312219) | asked Nov 16 '09, 11:13 a.m.
Hi folks

I am new to .NET and the RTC .NET integration. I am working with a group that wants to share .NET projects but not have a related solution.

They are telling me that RTC seems to be forcing them to use solutions and this isn't the way they want to go.

They claim that all their developers have their own solutions and they don't want the solutions under source control. However, they claim RTC is forcing them to do this.

They claim this results in a lot of solutions being checked in.

In RTC......
1) are solutions required if they wish to share projects with their team mates?
2) is there a requirement to have the solution under source control if they want to share projects.

If the above are requirements, do you know if this requirement is coming from RTC or Microsoft?
I've read through some microsoft documentation on solutions and projects and my understanding is that solutions help track build dependencies across projects.

However, if each project is stand alone, are solutions required?
Thanks

Andy

One answer

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Nov 16 '09, 12:32 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi folks

I am new to .NET and the RTC .NET integration. I am working with a group that wants to share .NET projects but not have a related solution.

They are telling me that RTC seems to be forcing them to use solutions and this isn't the way they want to go.

They claim that all their developers have their own solutions and they don't want the solutions under source control. However, they claim RTC is forcing them to do this.

They claim this results in a lot of solutions being checked in.

In RTC......
1) are solutions required if they wish to share projects with their team mates?
2) is there a requirement to have the solution under source control if they want to share projects.

If the above are requirements, do you know if this requirement is coming from RTC or Microsoft?
I've read through some microsoft documentation on solutions and projects and my understanding is that solutions help track build dependencies across projects.

However, if each project is stand alone, are solutions required?
Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy

I believe (and could be totally wrong here) that by default, any project that gets created has to live in a solution. VS creates a solution underneath you regardless of what else you do.

What RTC does is map a VS Solution to a RTC Component. I have not (yet) found a way to map a VS project to a RTC component (which sort-of makes more sense to me).

Please encourage the developers to log enhancements on jazz.net - then we can better work out what they require (and if they log enhancements directly, they can follow the conversation and contribute to the discussion)

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.