It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Import Artifact permission in DOORS NG

Richard Hall (107211) | asked Jul 14 '20, 8:39 p.m.

Two questions related to Import Artifact

1) What permission do I need to allocate to a user to allow them to use Import Artifact using a CSV file?
Do they just need permission to modify the attributes that have been changed or is it more than that.

2) Is it possible to require that Import Artifact be always made using a Change Set.
I do not wish to require Change Set for all updates, just when using Import Artifact.

Thanks

One answer

permanent link
David Clark (2341150) | answered Jul 15 '20, 9:03 a.m.

Q1: 

I believe they would need:
  1. Save Artifact > Create an artifact for an import.
  2. If they are also modifying an artifact, importing a CSV to update existing artifacts, then Modify an artifact will also be required.
  3. A CSV import may also want to create folders so the Save Folder option should also be available, I do not know what would happen without that set, it may work and just put the imported artifacts in some existing folder.
I would set those.

Q2: "...always using a Change Set." - Yes and No, Yes you can set it up for change sets, but have to be enabled and required.

Note: if you do NOT use change sets for everything, then everything is a change set and if you use multiple streams, when you deliver from one stream to another, each change to an artifact shows up as a change set. (e.g. change an "a" to an "an" in an artifact - a change set is created.) Before we understood change sets, we had not enabled them and had generated 40K+ change sets that will live forever in out DB now. There are many advantages of using change sets and not many disadvantages.. just my 2 cents worth.

Comments
Richard Hall commented Jul 15 '20, 2:50 p.m.

1) In this case the CSV file only contains updates to existing artifacts.  Would it need to create artifact permission in this case?
I have already checked that they have the correct permission for the attributes that have actually changed.

2) I understand that when not using an explicit change set, an implicit one is created but the user does not see that directly.

The problem that I have found with requiring explicit change sets for all updates, is that if they need to update a single value for an attribute the user would need to create a change set, make the change and deliver the change set rather than just changing directly which takes much longer

Currently we only tend to use change sets when there are multiple related artifact updates.

But for import I want to say that change sets must be used because of the danger of making unintended changes.

David Clark commented Jul 15 '20, 4:37 p.m.

Richard, you will have to set the modified permission, that should be all you need, but I do not know how those settings affect the UI option to import.

I understand your concern and approach for change sets, just threw in my 2 cents :-)
If you are not doing stream to stream delivery, then it becomes less obvious as to the benefit.
To you original question, there is no way to selectively force change sets for certain actions.
We also use change sets to be able to monitor what is checked in. We do not use RTC or RQM, just DNG.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.