It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to transfer artifact templates from one jazz server to another?

Ravi Gollapudi (37117) | asked Jul 13 '20, 4:47 p.m.
Hi jazz community,

I am building many artifact templates in local/test Jazz server. I have to roll out these templates for new projects in a different Jazz server.
Is it possible to archive the templates from test Jazz server and import into projects in another server?

TIA

Accepted answer

permanent link
Diana Kraaijeveld (56227) | answered Jul 14 '20, 5:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ravi,

In Doors Next it is not possible to transfer individual artifact templates from one project to another.
You can create templates from an entire project, and use this as a template when creating new projects, as you can read in the article that Bartosz referenced.

But in an existing project, you can not import artifact templates from another project. You can import the type system from another project using 'manage project/component properties' > import tab. However this will not import artifact templates, but only artifact types, attributes, data types, link types, etc.

A workaround I can think of to get an artifact template from one project to another is to use ReqIf to copy the artifacts behind the template to the other project, and then create new templates based on these artifacts/modules.

Steps:
1. Open the source project > 'manage project/component properties' >  templates tab
2. In 'Artifact Templates' find the template you want to copy to the other project
3. From the template pencil drop down menu, select 'Edit Content'
4. The artifact or module behind the template will open. Make a note of the artifact or module ID
5. Repeat the above steps for any other template you want to copy to the other project.
6. Open the 'manage project/component properties' >  ReqIf tab and create a new ReqIf definition
7. Add all modules/artifacts behind the templates that you want to copy to the ReqIf definition
8. Save the definition and export + download it to a ReqIf file
9. In the target project, import the ReqIf file. This will create a copy of the artifacts/modules in the project
10. Open the target project > 'manage project/component properties' >  templates tab
11. Create new artifact templates and base them on the imported artifacts/modules

Now you have similar templates in the target project.

Ravi Gollapudi selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ravi Gollapudi commented Jul 14 '20, 9:57 a.m.
Thanks for the answers, Bartosz and Diana !

I understand there is no way to take artifact templates separately from one project to another. The best way now is to create a project template and reuse that template for new projects within the same server.

Now I have another related question.

Can I take a project template from one server to another server. I am creating some artifact templates and many artifact types and associated details in my local server. I want to carry over my work as a project template to another production server. Is it possible?

Diana Kraaijeveld commented Jul 14 '20, 10:35 a.m. | edited Jul 14 '20, 10:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ravi,

yes, that should not be a problem.

- Create a project template from an existing project (when selecting to include artifact templates, it will automatically also select to include artifacts)
- Then from the pencil icon next to the project template, you can download the template (it will be a zip file with a .archive extention)
- Then on your other server, you can upload that template and use it to populate new projects on that other server.

One other answer

permanent link
Bartosz Chrabski (3.4k12648) | answered Jul 13 '20, 4:52 p.m.

Ravi,

Following article should answer Your questions: https://www.techrev.com/blog/dng-template/

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.