It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does DNG have a setting to compress images?

Vani B (1391065) | asked May 26 '20, 10:36 p.m.

Some of the exports of the requirements have become super-sized to the tune of 80+ MB for a single section. This is likely due to the picture file size.  Is there a setting or another best practice to keep the size manageable while still enabling use of images in the requirements?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k15) | answered May 28 '20, 12:02 p.m.
edited May 28 '20, 12:03 p.m.
In the Word template (rpe.dot that is shipped with RPE), there is no macro to compress the images, but to resize.

However, MS Word provides options to compress pictures while saving the document or by choosing Picture Format -> Compress Pictures after opening the document. The same can be done through post-processing macro as well.
Vani B selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k15) | answered May 28 '20, 12:43 a.m.
edited May 28 '20, 12:43 a.m.

Hi Vani,
You can reduce the image file size (without sacrificing quality) using tools (like Photoshop or free web tools/plugins) outside DNG and select "Upload a new version" option in DNG.
In RPE (RRDG template), you have option to reduce dimensions of the image in generated Word document, but not the file size.

Comments
Daniel Moul commented May 28 '20, 11:21 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I wonder if it's possible to post-process the Word doc to "Compress Pictures" using a Word macro included in the DOT template file? I don't know; just suggesting/asking. 

permanent link
Ian Barnard (1.9k613) | answered May 27 '20, 10:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Vani

Are you referring to ReqIF export? Embedded images/documents are exported in (AFAIK) whatever format they were uploaded in, which tend to be compressed these days (e.g. jpeg, png, docx). Sketches are exported as metadata rather than bitmaps - a little diagram I drew was 7KiB of XML. But if the content isn't already compressed and is compressible then the zip format for reqif will compress it into the reqifz file.

Try compressing the .reqifz file - I tried admittedly on a small 138KiB file and it didn't get any smaller. Even 7-zip with LZMA2 Ultra compression didn't make it any smaller. So your content is pretty well compressed already.

HTH
Ian

Comments
Vani B commented May 27 '20, 10:59 p.m.

This is when you export the module artifact data to Word document. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.