It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Upgrading and changing server topology

Monali Jambhulkar (841640) | asked Apr 27 '20, 1:29 a.m.

Hello All

Currently we have server with Single server architecture( all application on one server  and DB only another server ) for CLM 6.0.6  with SQL server and WAS liberty profile.

Now we want to upgrade to CLM 6.0.6.1 with distributes server topology .(RM, QM, AM and CCM on one server, JTS,LQE, LDX and GC & JRS will be on different server )  and DB on third server .

Can you Please guide let what steps need to follow. Upgrade interactive guide is not giving direct help.

Please Suggest.

Thanks

Comments
Fariz Saracevic commented Apr 27 '20, 2:12 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I suggest to reconsider moving to 6.0.6.1 and move to 7.0 instead. This will provide you RM improvements plus number of other applications new features. Also, I would recommend that you have LQE as a seperate server as it requires larger memory footprint, see https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/LifecycleQueryEngineBestPractices.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Bartosz Chrabski (3.4k12649) | answered Apr 27 '20, 2:44 a.m.
edited Apr 27 '20, 2:47 a.m.

Hi Monali,

To move to Distributed Topology You need to deploy IBM HTTP Server and configure reverse proxy.

During the configuration You will have to merge configuration files from different servers

I strongly suggest performing this process in following steps

1) Install second server (other servers) with the new applications
2) Perform basic configuration of the new servers (memory, etc)
3) Install IBM HTTP Server
4) Backup configuration files of applications You plan to move
5) Remove applications you want to move from the original server
6) Perform Plugin Merge
7) Setup HTTPS on IBM HTTP Server
8) Move archived application configuration files to the new servers
9) Reindex the data on the new servers

Important: If Your environment was using iFix please remeber to install this I fix on the new servers too.

Important 2: Do not mix this migration with upgrade to v7. First go distributed or first upgrade to v7, do not mix those two activities to avoid issues.

Important 3:

Please consider following topology:

Server 1: RM, QM, AM and CCM, JTS, LDX, GC
Server 2: LQE, JRS 
Server 3: DB

LQE should not be deployed on the same servers were user facing applications are installed. Reporting should have a separate server, if You have performance issues with other application then you should think about adding server 4.

Monali Jambhulkar selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Monali Jambhulkar commented May 18 '20, 5:54 a.m.

Hi 

On which Server we need to install IHS? (Sever1 , Server 2 or Server 3).

Please suggest.

6 other answers

permanent link
Bartosz Chrabski (3.4k12649) | answered May 20 '20, 6:51 a.m.
If you use IBM HTTP then you should use default ports 80 and 443, you do not have to write them because web browser will automatically add it.

You should configure dns alias before you will set up public uri.

permanent link
Monali Jambhulkar (841640) | answered May 20 '20, 6:44 a.m.

Thanks ..

after complete installation , What is public url i should when i will do JTS/Setup .. means suppose i want Public Url like aaabcd.com:9443/jts/admin.... So In which file i Should configure this public url along with port .

This step is not clear . Can you Please suggest me on the same.

Thanks

permanent link
Bartosz Chrabski (3.4k12649) | answered May 20 '20, 6:11 a.m.
Please check chapter Plugin Location.

You can put file anywhere you want

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CreateIHSPLUGINFORLIBERTYPROFILE

permanent link
Monali Jambhulkar (841640) | answered May 20 '20, 6:07 a.m.

Thanks for your suggestion.

After merging the plugin config xml from server 1 and server 2 where we have to put merge plugic config xml ?

also can you please guide how to mentioned Public URL in httfpd.conf file.

Is there any reference link we can follow for completed setup?

Please suggest.

Thanks
Monali 

permanent link
Bartosz Chrabski (3.4k12649) | answered May 19 '20, 11:56 a.m.
Hi,

You can put IHS on server 1, but this environment will be modified in the future when You will have more users or data.

There is a lot on server1 already so I suggest putting IHS on the seperate machine.

permanent link
Bhagath P B (3888) | answered Apr 27 '20, 1:48 a.m.

Hi Monali,

Assuming that you don't have IHS installed and you are trying to distribute the applications to different server.

Migration:

• Below article provides detailed process of migrating CLM application to a new instance

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/MigratingCLMToANewEnvironment

• After migration check if all the applications are accessible and working as expected.

Regards,

Bhagath

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.