It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DOORS NG_JVM free memory 3%

Aljo George (116) | asked Apr 25 '20, 12:33 a.m.
edited Apr 25 '20, 12:36 a.m.
We have DOORS NG 605 (no patches), noticing slowness and free JVM less than 10% only when single user is connected to DOORS NG production and updating single line artifact text. User unable to update the requirements at this time. 

Configuration details: 
RAM: 64GB 
CPU: 8Cores 
Allocated/Reserved JVM: 56GB 
Indices folder size: 56GB 

Any recommendation for the performance improvement would be appreciated. 

Thank you, 
Aljo George 
Thermo Fisher Scientific

2 answers

permanent link
Rustam Zaidullin (53) | answered Apr 27 '20, 2:41 a.m.

Resources should be ok (depends on which else applications are deployed on this server).

Patches are essential.
Probably rebuilding indices is required.
What is server uptime?  

Comments
Aljo George commented Apr 28 '20, 12:47 a.m.

Hi Rustam

Answering your questions:
Other than RM we have JRS which is rarely used.
Which patch would you recommend?  Is that a straight forward installation?
Not sure if the 64GB RAM would be enough to rebuilt the indices as we tried this in one of our lower environments  having 4GB of indices folder, 32GB RAM, Java heap 24 and it failed with error: Java Heap full.
Server was up for 3days 23hrs when this issue happened.

Take care and stay safe.

Aljo George 

Rustam Zaidullin commented Apr 28 '20, 3:18 a.m.

iFix015 is good. 016th seems to have some issues with localization (at least to Russian) and 017th I haven't tried yet. To install it you need to carefully follow instructions in included readme.txt (it's bit more complex than just "next->next" but not too much)

What about indices - in this case I'd try replacing storage (first via web - rm/admin, Storage and Query -> Storage Areas, Reconfigure Storage)

Ian Barnard commented Apr 30 '20, 3:21 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

A word of caution on replacing storage areas - I believe this is only something you should do when specifically directed by IBM support.

permanent link
Ian Barnard (1.9k613) | answered Apr 29 '20, 10:48 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Aljo

In itself, a very low percentage of free JVM memory doesn't ring alarm bells because that's the way Java works: it uses free memory first, then only does garbage collection when it's nearly run out - i.e. it uses the space you've given it.

There is more information about tuning DOORS Next here: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/ConfiguringAndTuningDNG
In particular you should refer to the content below heading "Jena Index and File System Memory Consumption" in that second link.

HTH
Ian

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.