It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC - Create a Widget Catalog for several OpenSocial gadgets?

Dave Evans (14812846) | asked Apr 09 '20, 11:37 a.m.
edited Apr 09 '20, 11:41 a.m.

Hi all,

So I have been creating widgets from home during social distancing... I made a Kanban that shows work items for a given saved query (it moves the work items between states, too!), a stacked area chart showing cumulative value flow, and a few others in the past few weeks (See attached screenshot for some examples).

My question is... is there some way I can add a section to the RTC widget catalog so that users on our servers can find them more easily? Pasting the URL to add an "OpenSocial Gadget" works, but this is not as good as it could be. My other thought is to create an information area somewhere and show examples and URLs and then advertise this... but again, this is not as good as adding them into the RTC widget catalog so they are readily discovarable.

Let me know if you know of any ways! Thanks!

OpenSocial Gadget Examples

One answer

permanent link
Stefan Oblinger (185213) | answered Apr 10 '20, 4:13 p.m.
Hi Dave,

your widgets look awesome! Any chance for you to share them? 

In order to extend the Widget Catalog you need to create a server extension. No (Java) coding is required, just create a plugin.xml and create an archive together with your widget code. See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/OSGiWidgetCatalog. If you need a concrete example, I might provide you one.

There exists an enhancement request to support configurable widget catalog like DNG does:  

Comments
Dave Evans commented Apr 13 '20, 12:35 p.m.
I will be updating the files as I work on them, here: https://github.com/dartmith/Widgets
Right now, they are fairly functional... but have some rough edges.

Back to making a Widget Catalog... Do I need to create a whole application that I would add as a 'Friend' so that I could select widgets from my widget server's catalog?

The docs you sent refer to 'adding an entry to the rootservices document', but I don't have a root services document yet to add to. I think I need a more concrete example on a bare-minimum rootservices document. I can see the rootservices for JTS and RTC servers, but those are rather complicated to glean from.

Thank you for the help!
Dave

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.