It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Best Practices in Linking Strategy when combining Agile elements with traditional elements?

Mary Miller (87124) | asked Apr 06 '20, 1:35 p.m.
edited Apr 06 '20, 1:36 p.m.

We have an Agile-like project setup using Epics, User Stories, Features, and Functional Requirements.  I am investigating to the direction given as I see some potential discrepancies with what would be done DOORS NG Help, and I need to make a recommendation on how we might ensure users do not get confused if they use the Help.

From SAFe, it looks like you would have a link schema starting with Epics linking down to Capabilities, Capabilities linking down to Features, and Features linking down to User Stories.

Epics ---> Capabilities ---> Features ---> User Stories.
How would Functional Requirements be linked?  Would they link up to Stories?

Also, what Link Types do you guys use for the link schema above?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Amy Silberbauer (30657) | answered Apr 06 '20, 10:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Mary,
It sounds like you haven't seen the domain/information models for SAFe. You can find them in this article: https://jazz.net/library/article/93757.

In a SAFe-based environment, requirements of any kind are supported, you will see that in the domain models. As an example, in a systems engineering environment, it is logical that you might have stakeholder requirements that break down into system, subsystem and component-level requirements. These would link to the right level of change management work items. It makes sense for system requirements to map to Solution Epics, subsystem requirements to Capabilities, etc..

Functional and user requirements could link to any change management work type. The domain models show the link types expected. Requirements are "implemented by" work items, "validated by" test plans, test cases. Within DOORS Next, there are a larger set of link types, also documented.

I hope that helps.
Amy Silberbauer
(asilber@us.ibm.com)

Mary Miller selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mary Miller commented Apr 14 '20, 1:59 p.m.
Hi Amy,

I was not able to access the link you provided.  However, what you are saying makes sense.  I may have stumbled across the domain model you are referencing.  That said, I think you probably gave me some additional information to connect the dots as well as information I had not previously considered.

Thank you!

V/R,

Mary

Amy Silberbauer commented Apr 15 '20, 9:05 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
So sorry! The link I provided has a trailing period. If you remove that, the link will work.
Amy

One other answer

permanent link
Mary Miller (87124) | answered Apr 23 '20, 1:43 p.m.
Oh, nice!  I found the one for SAFe 4.5, but not SAFe 4.6. 

Turns out that my concern was not a concern, but I think these templates could really help the people I support.  I really appreciate it!

V/R,

Mary

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.