It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Jazz upgrade - db only refreshed

Norman Dignard (356688167) | asked Mar 26 '20, 2:00 p.m.

We're in the process of upgrading JAZZ CLM from 605 to 6061. We've stood up a staging env to perform the upgrade prior to doing our production env.    This env will be accessed by various users to access their projects to ensure they account for any upgrade implications going forward. 

As it is, with the current situation we're going to complete the upgrade in our staging env however we may need to refresh our staging db to reflect the current production contents. It may be a few months before we can implement the upgrade due to our internal processes on this.

My question is if we already have an upgraded env to 6061 and we refresh the backend from our latest production contents still at 605 is there a way to do a db only upgrade?   I understand that we'll need to rebuild the app indexes post this to bring the JAZZ apps and db inline.   

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 27 '20, 3:07 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 27 '20, 3:07 a.m.

If you can not find this in the interactive upgrade guide it is not supported. 

In addition, like Ian answered, a big part of the upgrade is changes to the database tables, structure and data. So it is, for all I can tell, not supported to "refresh the back-end". For all I can tell, there is not even any capability to do so in the DBMS's. If you just restore a 6.0.5 backup over a 6.0.6.x Jazz instance, the 6.0.6.x will likely stop working.  

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Mar 27 '20, 8:25 a.m.

See my comments in Ian's post 

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 27 '20, 8:42 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have provided my answer already. It will not change. 

permanent link
Ian Wark (79713450) | answered Mar 27 '20, 2:25 a.m.

I think the db tables are different version to version, so if you swapped the 6.0.5 version of the db to 6.0.6.1 applications without running the upgrade scripts, I'm guessing you would get unpredictable results. I don't think that is a safe way to proceed IMHO. From a support perspective, I don't think IBM would support such a move. I would stay on 6.0.5 a little longer.

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Mar 27 '20, 8:23 a.m.

What I'm trying to do is shorten the upgrade after having upgraded already. 

Everyone should agree that the upgrade is basically a 2 step process, upgrade the apps , which is really only a partial upgrade as it only copies a few config files between old an new versions of the apps (team prop, log4j ) It does not account for plugins, LTPA settings, changes to server.xml, certs etc that have to be done outside of the "upgrade" depending on your deployment .  The second part of the upgrade is the db side which is where most of the upgrade time is spend.

I guess running upgrade a second time even though the app side has been upgraded won't hurt other that wasting a bit of time.

I was wondering if repotools would have a upgrade db option? I did notice there is upgradeWarehouse option but have not seen one for the apps.  (Makes me question now what the repotools -upgradeWarehouse option serves.).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.