It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Table of Contents is not working in my template

Ravi Gollapudi (37117) | asked Mar 25 '20, 8:18 a.m.

Version: DNG 6.0.6.1 and RPE 6.0.6

I have tried all sample templates which show simple 'Table of Contents' element added to template with no additional conditions or data assignments. But they are not working for me.
I am using default word stylesheet for the document.

How can I fix this issue? Can someone provide me with some working template?        

-TIA

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k241144) | answered Mar 25 '20, 9:16 a.m.
Hi Ravi,

Are you getting any headings published in your Word document refelcting the Module heading structure?

Do they have styles Heading 1,2,3 etc. ?

There is an option in RPE to automatically refresh the TOC element. Have you checked that option? If the option is not checked your TOC in the published Word Doc will be empty until you manually refresh it.
Ravi Gollapudi selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ravi Gollapudi commented Mar 25 '20, 10:09 a.m.

Hi Sean,

How can U enable the auto refresh in RPE? I am not aware of that.

I used Section and Title to get as headings in the document. I didn't apply styles, as per the user's requirement.

Do I have to apply heading styles to be able to manually refresh after generating the document?

Is there a java script to easily apply heading styles based on the depth property?

Sean F commented Mar 25 '20, 10:12 a.m.
I do not have it installed at the moment Ravi or I would post a screenshot.

On the properties section of the TOC element in RPE template there is an option to auto-refesh the TOC on completion of publication.

In older versions of RPE this option was not available and you had to run a post-processing VB macro in your stylesheet to force the refresh.

2 other answers

permanent link
Ravi Gollapudi (37117) | answered Mar 25 '20, 10:43 a.m.

Thanks for your answers, David and Sean.

Based on your answers, I applied styles to headings. Then I updated the TOC manually. It worked.

But applying heading styles is the second step in the template after creating TOC. How can I make it automatically refreshing/updating before publishing the document?

Comments
Sean F commented Mar 25 '20, 12:03 p.m.
Hi Ravi,

The TOC cannot be refreshed until the document is published and the headings are generated.

If you select the Auto-Update option in Properties for the TOC RPE template element then it should auto-update upon completion of publishing.

permanent link
David Clark (2341150) | answered Mar 25 '20, 8:25 a.m.

Are you:

a) Setting the document template you are using with an empty TOC in the doc?
b) Using the RPE TOC component?

I have used both and are currently using the empty TOC in my stylesheet doc. - I am on an older version of DNG (6.0.4) and RPE 6.0.6.1.

The second page of my stylesheet looks like this:

Table of Contents <o:p> </o:p>

No table of contents entries found. <o:p> </o:p>

Listing of Tables <o:p> </o:p>

No table of figures entries found. <o:p> </o:p>

Listing of Figures <o:p> </o:p>

No table of figures entries found. <o:p> </o:p>

Where the "No table.." is the MS Word TOC inserted. Post document delivery a F9 or document refresh will make the TOC show up.

Comments
Ravi Gollapudi commented Mar 25 '20, 8:50 a.m.

Hi David,

I am using RPE TOC component in the template with default level 5. I didn't out any TOC Code. 
My result is just the title of the module in the first line of Table of Contents. It didn't get te actual headings from DNG module.
Is there something I am missing here? 

David Clark commented Mar 25 '20, 9:31 a.m.

What Sean said.. are you getting any heading number in the document?

You could test it by manually inserting a Word TOC int eh document and see if you get a TOC. If not then you are not setting up the headings correctly in the RPE template.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.