It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG: Change Management Constraints

vinitha dsouza (14719119) | asked Feb 13 '20, 5:59 a.m.
Hello Team,

We are using DNG with Configuration management.

- i see for the streams we configure changes to be done only via
 1. changeset
 2. Deliver only for the approved changerequest or workitem.

i am in confusion when option 2 to be used. Because already review process in DNG make sure that artifacts are reviewed, then what is the point again to have this condition?

another query, can this option be configurable either via precondition.
what i want to achive is - Deliver if it is linked to workitem (with no restrication on approval state)

Can you please explain?

2 answers

permanent link
Kathryn Fryer (503147) | answered Feb 27 '20, 12:32 p.m.
Actually, I thought your request was about change set delivery and related options.
Plan item 108884 is to provide the ability to define DNG reviews in the context of a DNG change set, which you can't do today.  Today if you want to review changes, you must deliver the change set and then create the review on a stream or baseline.

PI 108884 has no relationship to the current SCM code review. While 108884 links to a second plan item that mentions SCM, the 2nd PI is related to ease of locating and delivering change sets, not the review process.

There are other design efforts underway to improve the overall review experience and consistency across the ELM suite; those are still in design exploration at this time.

permanent link
Kathryn Fryer (503147) | answered Feb 13 '20, 1:04 p.m.
The second option mandates that you must link the change set to a change request (work item) that is in an approved state. You can't currently hold a review within the context of a change set (enhancement request exists for this). This option provides an additional level of change control for those organizations that require it.

If you don't select the 2nd option, you can still link your change set to a work item; it just doesn't restrict delivery of that change set.

These settings are set per individual stream. There is no precondition.

Hope that helps.

Comments
vinitha dsouza commented Feb 14 '20, 2:53 a.m.

Can you provide the enhancement request no ?

Kathryn Fryer commented Feb 18 '20, 11:20 a.m.
Enhancement for reviews on change sets: RM Plan Item 108884

vinitha dsouza commented Feb 27 '20, 7:28 a.m. | edited Feb 27 '20, 7:29 a.m.
actually the question is,
i see that enhancement request talks mostly review during the integration.

But request is review similar to SCM Code review, not using the DNG Review workflow( Default)

Kathryn Fryer commented Feb 27 '20, 12:29 p.m.
Actually, I thought your request was about change set delivery and related options.
The plan item referenced is to provide the ability to define reviews in DNG in the context of a change set, which you can't do today.  Today if you want to review changes, you must deliver the change set and then hold the review on a stream or baseline.

This plan item has no relationship to the current SCM code review. While the Plan item references a second plan item that mentions SCM, the 2nd PI is related to ease of locating and delivering change sets, not the review process.

There are other design efforts underway to improve the overall review experience and consistency across the ELM suite; those are still in the exploration phase.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.