It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC import from MS Project - Map more than two work item types

Glyn Costello (13637) | asked Feb 03 '20, 7:39 a.m.
 Hi, 

Is it possible to map more than just work item types from Microsoft Project to Rational Team Concert when importing? Perhaps using a custom field in Project to tell RTC imported how to map work item types?

i.e.

Instead of:

Summary Task
     Summary Task
          Child Task

I could have:

Business Need
     Change Request
          Task

(by the way, I cannot get the Jazz.net search to work in any browser). 

One answer

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Feb 04 '20, 3:36 a.m.
Hi Glyn,

It has been a while since I looked at the Microsoft import - but checking the Ref help file below.
You only have the option to map Summary Task and Task:  So you would need a work around in some way.

We would complete the import "summary task = Change Request" and either:
1. Edit the work item type for those which should be Business Need after import
2. Import only Change Requests and Tasks then manually add the Business Need and link to Change Requests.

Are you using the Formal Project Management Template?  and entering dates/plans..

We had issues with import and re-import as you MUST keep the Microsoft Project file name (XML) the same.
If you change the Microsoft Project File name on Re-import it will just add new items and not update.

I much prefer to use the CSV import as it's much more flexible... for Work Item Types etc.

Ref help file:

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.