It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can a Team have more than one timeline

Thomas Becker (154) | asked Jan 30 '20, 8:27 a.m.
  •  I'm using a RTC project area as a container for work items related to an organizational unit. 
  • Within the project area, several projects are represented as different RTC-timelines. 
  • The RTC-teams are arranged in a way that they represent the different department's of the organizational unit. 
  • For each project several departments provide one or more team members to a project (RTC timeline). (Typically for a Matrix organization) 
  • The Categories have a 1:1 mapping to the teams. (e.g. Category A <-> Team A, Category B <-> Team B ...)
    The idea behind is to file work items against a team (by choosing the category in Filed Against field) and to also assign the work item to a project by choosing the iteration of a Timeline in the Planned For field. 
PROBLEM: For this configuration the team (department) do not belong to only one timeline (project), because the department provides stuff to different projects. Therefore I would like to assign the department team to different projects (RTC-timelines) which is not possible with RTC. 
How shall i handle this conflict? 
Is there a possibility to assign a team to more than one timeline? 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 30 '20, 8:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 30 '20, 8:42 a.m.
No, any process area can only ever be associated to one timeline: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/RTCProcessFundamentals#Timelines .
If the configuration team wants to manage their time, they need their own timeline or use a, timeline that exists. This way they can be allocated to that team and you can use planning and estimations.

Or you make the members of the conf team member of each other area with a percentage of allocation to that team.This way the users would be in many teams and have their work planned with a percentage. E.g. a 1 hour Job would be planned to take 6 hours if you have 6 teams and are allocated with 10%.

This can not be changed, all planning and estimations depend on this.

I would suggest solution 1 because that is easier to handle for the department team.
Thomas Becker selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Thomas Becker commented Feb 05 '20, 10:14 a.m. | edited Feb 05 '20, 12:54 p.m.

Thanks for your answer, Ralph.

First of all, I notice that a PA is not a project area, it is a process area. 

According to the first proposal, I’ve arranged the timelines in the following way: 

Timeline                                    Team <o:p> </o:p>

Timeline Department A          Department Team A <o:p> </o:p>

Timeline Department B          Department Team B <o:p> </o:p>

Timeline Department C          Department Team C <o:p> </o:p>

Timeline Project 1                   “no team is assigned to this Timeline” <o:p> </o:p>

Timeline Project 2                   “no team is assigned to this Timeline” <o:p> </o:p>

The Categories are arranged as shown below: <o:p> </o:p>

Category              Team <o:p> </o:p>

Department A    Department-Team A (Project Leader Department) <o:p> </o:p>

Department B    Department-Team B <o:p> </o:p>

Department C    Department-Team C <o:p> </o:p>

Project 1             Department-Team A (Project Leader Department) <o:p> </o:p>

Project 2             Department-Team A (Project Leader Department) <o:p> </o:p>

Now, I’m able to plan work items for departments and also for projects, by assigning an Iteration of a Timeline with the field Planned For. <o:p> </o:p>

A work item planned for an Iteration of e.g.  “Project 1”  can be Filed Against a Department e.g. “Department-Team B”. This indicates, that the work item is needed to be completed to implement a specific functionality for the Project 1, and the work for this functionality should be done by one person of the department B. <o:p> </o:p>

But, now I get a warning on the Planned For field, that the “Iteration is not associated with the selected category”. This is logical, because the iteration of the work item is not inside the same timeline as the team, where the work item is Filed Against. <o:p> </o:p>

What is the consequence of this warning? <o:p> </o:p>

Which functionality of RTC or Jazz will not work? <o:p> </o:p>

Another thing is, that I can not use a Timeline as a “Project Timeline”, because the different projects (represented as a Timeline) have equal rights and run in parallel.   <o:p> </o:p>

For this, I have the same questions as before. What is the consequence in terms of not usable functionality of Jazz because of this.  <o:p> </o:p>

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 05 '20, 4:48 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The result of this warning is that the work item will appear in no plan ... because it is strictly enforced that the iteration specified for a plan must match the team area selected for that plan.   So whenever you see that warning, you should fix the problem (so that the iteration specified for the work item is in the timeline of the team for the category of the work item).

It is fine for you to have no timeline for the project area, as long as you map none of your categories to the project area.   If you do map a category to the project area, and you select that category for a work item, then that work item cannot appear in a plan.

One other answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.