It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

The Process Configuration Source – cut and paste

Peter Turvey (99130) | asked Jan 30 '20, 6:08 a.m.

We are using RTC v6.0.6 and a year ago we created a project area called “Project A”.

Six months later there was a requirement for a similar project at a different site on a different network. So we created “Similar Project B”. When we did this we exported the process template from “Project A” and imported the template onto the Server at the other network and used it when we created “Similar Project B”.

We then did quite a bit of work on “Project A” and made a few changes to the Process Configuration.

Not a lot happened on “Similar Project B” apart from creating a few work items etc.

We now want to make the same changes to the “Similar Project B” process configuration that we have made on “Project A”.

Question : Can I simply take a copy of the ‘xml’ from “Project A” Process Configuration Source and paste it into “Similar Project B” or is this a really bad idea ?

Thanks

Peter

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 30 '20, 10:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Rather than doing any XML copy/pasting, I would suggest have master project areas on each server, and use process sharing for the process of your actual projects.   When you have a new master project area on Server A, export that template and then import that exported template into a new master project area on Server B.   Then you can just point your actual projects on Server B at this new master project area (and point them back to the previous master project area if something isn't working as expected).

Comments
Peter Turvey commented Jan 30 '20, 12:16 p.m.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll look into it.

Thanks

Peter

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 31 '20, 2:05 a.m.

To be able to share a project from another project area, the project area must use the "Unconfigured process". You might be able to make that happen by deleting the relevant parts of the process, you would have to delete the related XML from the process XML. I have not tried this @Geoff, but just sharing a process is not enough, if the sharing project area already overwrites these parts.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 31 '20, 10:11 a.m.

Yes, for all existing project areas, you will have to do the one-time operation of replacing the process XML with the "unconfigured process" XML.   But once you have done that for all existing project areas, you won't have to do any more process XML cut/paste ... for either the existing project areas or for any new project area. 

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 30 '20, 8:57 a.m.
Peter, ideally you would use process sharing, instead of a copy. This works across servers, if you have a connection.
I can not say, if just pasting the process configuration source over works. For all I can tell, I would expect the resulting process to be valid. My concern would be, that you could overwrite process changes that have been done there and loose them.

I know that I have used this in the past to roll back a set of changes I should not have done 8). Also, as far as I know, the process sharing works on the same principle, with only the difference that the remote process is read.

I would try that in a test project on a test server. You can compare the before/after and find out what changes.

Comments
Peter Turvey commented Jan 30 '20, 9:26 a.m.

Thanks for the reply Ralph.

Unfortunately there is no connection between the two servers.

A colleague of mine thinks that this cut and paste idea will work but I'm not as confident as he is about that. I will proceed with care. (Currently examining a printout of both with my highlighter pen trying to spot the differences and potential dangers).

I'll let you know how this all works out.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 30 '20, 9:31 a.m.
I'd set up a local RTC/derby test server, create a template for the 2nd project and create a project area on the test server based on that. Create some work items.
Then import the 1st process template and create a project area from that.

Copy paste the process XML over and try. You can compare in the history also.

Just what I'd try.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.