It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

WI category

Bareket Matmon (1717) | asked Jan 14 '20, 2:56 a.m.

Hi, 

Is there an option to set category for 2/more teams? 
I could only assign it to one team area but I have category that can be assign to both teams. 

Also, 
when I create new category in RTC, I see that the 'Associate Team Area' is 'Inherited' from the project area. 
What does it mean?
and why I cannot see the WIs in plans in case I associated the category to the top level team area? (I have 1 top level team area and 3 sub team areas). 

The WIs are shown in plans only if the selected owner is the sub iteration....not sure why is that). 

Thanks,
Bareket 

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 14 '20, 8:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

1. No
2. The category is associated with the higher level associated project area, unless you associate a team area.
3. The plan scope includes only the work items that are owned by the owner and its nested team areas.

Comments
Bareket Matmon commented Jan 15 '20, 12:58 a.m.

Hi Ralph, 

I have WIs that their category doesn't assign to any team area and I still see them in our plans (In 'Work Item Categories', under column 'Associated Team Area' it says '<Project Area> [inherited]'. 

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 15 '20, 2:44 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Any category is associated to some process are.
A work item is always filed against a category through that category it gets filed against a process area

The category is a tree/forest with the project area as default association for the category values. If a category is associated to a team area, the inheritance is broken and all categories below that iherit the team area association, unless overwritten by another association.

Example 1: unassigned associated Project/team area JKE Banking (Change Management) [Project Area]
Example 2: JKE associated Project/team area JKE Banking (Change Management) [Project Area][inherited]
Example 3: JKE/BRM associated to team area Business Recoveries Matters overrides the project area inheritance.

Inherited basically means the association on the next deeper level is inherited.

The plans filter by filed against.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.