It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

java/lang/OutOfMemoryError - what do I do about it?

Peter Turvey (99130) | asked Nov 26 '19, 8:59 a.m.

Is there any advice available for what to do when you start getting problems with memory ?

I’ve got a Jazz Team Server and CLM applications v6.0.6 running on a Windows Server 2012 Standard with MS SQL Server 2016 (SP2) databases. We are using the Liberty web-server.

About two weeks ago we started having problems where users could not log on. If I rebooted the server everything was OK for a couple of days. Then the problem returned.

I looked in the <install-dir>\server\logs\messages_<date>.log” file and there are “java.lang.OutOfMemory” exceptions.

We are also getting some entries in the Windows Application Log from source=IBM Java mentioning this OutOfMemory Error.

And I have core dump files and “javacore.txt” in the <install-dir>\server\liberty\server\clm” folder.

I don’t really want to keep having to reboot the server every few days so what should my next move be ?

Thanks

Peter

Comments
Peter Turvey commented Nov 27 '19, 6:28 a.m.

Would increasing the Java Heap Size values in "server.startup.bat" be worth a try ?
i.e. set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS%-Xmx8G (instead of 4G)

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 27 '19, 7:39 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Peter,

we have some information in the deployment Wiki: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/OomIntheLog 
That was one example. There are more - you can search it.

You can only give the JVM memory that is available. There is no information about your node or your topology.

Given that, I would suggest to get in contact with support if your system is that unstable at the moment.

You should also consider monitoring your system https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/DeploymentMonitoring to understand what happens and what changes.

Comments
Peter Turvey commented Nov 27 '19, 8:40 a.m.

Thanks for that Ralph, I will take a look and see if that helps.

permanent link
Peter Turvey (99130) | answered Dec 10 '19, 7:10 a.m.

Eleven days ago I edited the "server.startup.bat" so that we now use -Xms8G and -Xmx8G (instead of the original 4G)

Since then the Jazz Team Server has been stable and there have been no OutOfMemory errors.
And Users are no longer having any problems logging on.

So I'm going to stick with these settings.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.