It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Explaining Artifact Re-use?

Mary Miller (87125) | asked Nov 25 '19, 12:21 p.m.

Good day,

I am attempting to explain artifact re-use.  While I pulled the concepts from a previous post on the purpose of base artifacts, I seemed to have hit a wall in explaining artifact re-use and why one does NOT want to do that without CM turned on.  We are using DOORS NG 6.0.6.

How have others explained artifact re-use in a way that lands for people?  Is there a resource that explains artifact re-use well?

Thanks!

Mary 

2 answers

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Nov 25 '19, 8:08 p.m.
I put artefact reuse in place all the time and rarely turn on CM. I find CM is overkill for so many even quite large  projects and reuse is really very simple.

This is such a large and broad topic - I'm happy to have an offline conversation with you Mary - I'm easy to find on LinkedIn or Google because of the spelling of my name. Feel free to make contact!

permanent link
Carol Watson (71016) | answered Nov 25 '19, 12:36 p.m.

Hi Mary,

We are on 6.0.6 and do NOT have CM turned on.  Here's how we 'reuse' artifacts.

Core Module = artifacts that are applicable to all consumers of the application.
LOB Modules (Line of Business) = 'Reuses' the applicable Core artifacts + has LOB specific artifacts.

By reusing Core artifacts within the LOB Modules, the requirements are in context.  In DOORS 9 we had to use separate modules, which meant you had to flip back and forth between the two to see the entire picture. 

So it's very clear to the users, we use an Artifact Type of CORE for the core requirements, and BU Specific for the LOB specific requirements.  We also limit who can update CORE artifacts in Permissions.

Hope this helps,
Carol

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.