It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What CLM tool typically houses text based design documentation ?

Mary Miller (87125) | asked Nov 06 '19, 4:14 p.m.

Good day,

I have a simple question.  The question has come up regarding which CLM tool would contain text based design documentation (ex: SSDD, SDD).  I know classic DOORS has been used to contain everything from system level specifications, design documentation, and testing documentation.

However, with the advent of the CLM platform, it seems that there are separate plugins to specialize in continuing testing data (QM) and model based design (Design Manager).  It seems that DOORS NG would really only contain requirements vs also containing design and testing documentation.  If one were to have text based design documentation (ex: SSDD, SDD), which tool would it be most appropriate to use?

Thanks!

Mary

2 answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Nov 06 '19, 7:07 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes we see a lot of teams use the RM application, because they can "wrap" uploaded attachments in an artifact that has attributes on it, making it easier to categories, sort, and find them later.  You can also link them to other artifacts in RM.

We also see a lot of teams upload them as attachments in the work item system, which most teams are already using for tasks/stories/defect/change requests/etc.

Comments
Davyd Norris commented Nov 06 '19, 7:16 p.m.
In this case you're simply importing the design document as an object, which works quite well if it's a PDF or a non-text file, and we do that too. In fact I keep major versions of my CAD files and electronic designs in RTC CM and reference the major versions there.

I suspect the OP was talking about pure text type design documents as seen in system engineering and civil/construction projects - we actually keep them as Modules in the system so that we can do detailed traceability from requirements to design elements and formal verification/validation.

Daniel Moul commented Nov 06 '19, 7:20 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Davyd you are right--I jumped to a possibly wrong conclusion.  The RM application (DOORS Next) provides a powerful way to express textual information in a "module" oin which each row is a type of information, and that type has a set of defined attributes (properties). This combines some of the best characteristics of documents and spreadsheets.

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Nov 06 '19, 6:10 p.m.
If the design documents are all very heavily text based then I would use the rm application (aka DNG) to manage them.

The Architecture Management (am) app is really good when the designs are UML or SysML based and come from modelling tools like Rhapsody and Rational Software Architect, but it's not really designed for managing big chunks of text based design.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.